• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cigar boxes into humidor

charlief1975

Reaction score
I'm a pretty slow smoker, so I purchase probably a box every 4 years or so. If the cigars come wrap in plastic, are they supposed to be removed from the plastic wrap before going into the humidor?

torotoro

Reaction score
It is totally a matter of personal preference. As a long time member of several cigar forums, I can tell you that this is an age old perennial question on those forums that is rarely answered seriously (initially anyway) by FOGs. Some subscribe to the theory that it is better to remove the cello for long term aging. Others feel that it is better to leave it on because it does breathe but does not lead to premature loss of the oils (which carries the taste), resulting in "yellow cello" (a good thing). Many say that it is merely a matter of preference but if you are going to be moving them around, say in your pocket or during travel, it is best to leave the cello on to protect the cigars wrapper leaf. In any event, if you want to start a ruckus join a forum such as Herfer's Paradise or Cigar Weekly and pose this quentisential newbie question in a thread titled "cello on or off?". Then get some popcorn, sit back and have a good howl! Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
4 years? Perhaps you shouldn't buy a whole box.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
4 years? Perhaps you shouldn't buy a whole box.

On the contrary. Assuming he has a good humidor and does upkeep and buys quality smokes the last couple of smokes from that box will be awesome.

Nothing beats a properly aged cigar.

torotoro

Reaction score
funny, I had the same thoughts above in the same sequence!

torotoro

Reaction score
then, on the other hand, after re-reading the original post, I'm not sure if the question is about whole boxes being stored or single sticks.

If you're talking about boxes, it is generally held that for serious long term aging (10+ years) its best to leave the shrink wrap plastic on the boxes during storage.

larryr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by torotoro
It is totally a matter of personal preference. As a long time member of several cigar forums, I can tell you that this is an age old perennial question on those forums that is rarely answered seriously (initially anyway) by FOGs. Some subscribe to the theory that it is better to remove the cello for long term aging. Others feel that it is better to leave it on because it does breathe but does not lead to premature loss of the oils (which carries the taste), resulting in "yellow cello" (a good thing). Many say that it is merely a matter of preference but if you are going to be moving them around, say in your pocket or during travel, it is best to leave the cello on to protect the cigars wrapper leaf. In any event, if you want to start a ruckus join a forum such as Herfer's Paradise or Cigar Weekly and pose this quentisential newbie question in a thread titled "cello on or off?". Then get some popcorn, sit back and have a good howl! Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

absolutely correct, personal preference

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re referring to cigars that each come individually wrapped in plastic then the answer is : "It does not matter". Those are machine made cigars. Aging them is like aging 3 dollar wine. I would not recommend smoking them either.

torotoro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
If you’re referring to cigars that each come individually wrapped in plastic then the answer is : "It does not matter". Those are machine made cigars. Aging them is like aging 3 dollar wine. I would not recommend smoking them either.

totally untrue. If yoy don't really know about cigars, I don't think it's fair to someone asking a serious question to bother posting to the thread.

considerata:

Opus
Davidoff Milleneum
AVO Domaine
Padon (regular line)

The above is just off the top of my head. All these are highly regarded by serious cigar smokers. They all are totally hand made and are presented in cello and, except the Padron, which is one of my non-Cuban faves, retail over $10 a pop in most areas.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by torotoro
totally untrue. If yoy don't really know about cigars, I don't think it's fair to someone asking a serious question to bother posting to the thread.

considerata:

Opus
Davidoff Milleneum
AVO Domaine
Padon (regular line)

The above is just off the top of my head. All these are highly regarded by serious cigar smokers. They all are totally hand made and are presented in cello and, except the Padron, which is one of my non-Cuban faves, retail over $10 a pop in most areas.

I should have specified I was talking about Cuban cigars only.

charlief1975

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
On the contrary. Assuming he has a good humidor and does upkeep and buys quality smokes the last couple of smokes from that box will be awesome.

Nothing beats a properly aged cigar.

I have a good humidor. Last week I smoked the last of a box of Romeo & Julieta Churchills that buddy that has a job with connections brought me from Cuba. Got the box in 1999. That last smoke was amazing.

larryr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by charlief1975
I have a good humidor. Last week I smoked the last of a box of Romeo & Julieta Churchills that buddy that has a job with connections brought me from Cuba. Got the box in 1999. That last smoke was amazing.

One of my favorite cigars. Not to overpowering and great flavor

charlief1975

Reaction score
Originally Posted by larryr
One of my favorite cigars. Not to overpowering and great flavor

My favorite smoke too. Only wish I could easily get some more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics