1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Church's worth the $ ????

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr Sola, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

So I'm looking for a decent pair of shoes to go with denim, khaki's, and the occasional suit. I found this pair at Neiman Marcus, and I really like them: [​IMG] The questions I have is whether they are worth the $500? I'm asking in terms of quality. Aslo, if anyone has a better recommendation I would appreciate it.

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

So I'm looking for a decent pair of shoes to go with denim, khaki's, and the occasional suit. I found this pair at Neiman Marcus, and I really like them:

[​IMG]

The questions I have is whether they are worth the $500? I'm asking in terms of quality. Aslo, if anyone has a better recommendation I would appreciate it.

No.

Look for Crockett & Jones, particularly the Handgrade, at places like plal.com, pediwear.com, etc. Also Trickers, which is cheaper and still much better quality than Church's, yet has the same rather blunt last as the Church's in the picture.

Also, I don't know if an oxford would go very well with denim.. That one's nicely brogued, though, so maybe you could pull it off.

3. j

j Senior member Admin

In my experience, they are not worth the retail price only because of the upper leather. The construction and other materials are excellent, and the styling elegant if often conservative (fine), but most of the leather they use in the uppers is corrected grain and will never acquire the patina of, for example, a C&J shoe, to use a close competitor. I think you'd be better off with a C&J Benchgrade or Handgrade on discount, and C&J's lasts are a bit nicer too IMO.

W/R/T styling of your choice, I think that's a very versatile pick for the purposes you've set out. I could see that working with jeans, khakis or a somewhat casual suit. I have a very similar pair of Church's in oxblood, and I like them, but I only paid $3.50. [​IMG]

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I agree on the issue of the corrected grain leather. There's a Church's outlet near me selling seconds at reasonably good prices, but I can never get past the corrected grain. It just scuffs too easily and then looks bad. I have seen one or two models with proper leather uppers but they're rare.

5. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

For $500 you can do a lot better than Church's in terms of leather methinks. C&J, already mentioned, can be readily had in that price range. The Allen-Edmonds Birminghams are currently on closeout and can be seen around the web in the $200 range.

6. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

Were Church's ever regarded as truly high end? I have two pair, one that belonged to my father, another I picked up as vintage, which must each be twenty to thirty years old, and with which I can find few if any faults. The latter have a closed-channeled sole, very close stitching and fine leather uppers. The first are suede tassels, fully leather lined, very comfortable. When did the brand markedly decline?

7. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

When did the brand markedly decline?

I think roughly when Prada bought them.

8. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Were Church's ever regarded as truly high end? I have two pair, one that belonged to my father, another I picked up as vintage, which must each be twenty to thirty years old, and with which I can find few if any faults. The latter have a closed-channeled sole, very close stitching and fine leather uppers. The first are suede tassels, fully leather lined, very comfortable. When did the brand markedly decline?

I have an pretty old pair of cordovan monkstraps by Churchs and they are turning out to be my favourite shoe. A bit snug for me but you can see how the whole shoe would be fitting anyway, a nice waist on the sole and a sleek last. I also have a couple of old Church Oxfords, the leather and the cut is much nicer than the current Church's which may be well made but look wholly uninspiring, pretty much like Bally now.

9. jeph

jeph Member

I have two pairs of Post-Prada Church's shoes, and they are much better than their reputation on this forum. And though I know from experience that Crockett & Jones are better quality shoes, their designs tend to be a bit more dressy than Church's.

I would recommend that you check out the Grenson Albert brogues. They look similar to the shoes in the photo, but their quality is better, and quite good value compared to Church's. I can recommend www.pediwear.co.uk.

10. Niels

Niels Well-Known Member

I own two pair of Church's one pair of dark brown Chetwyn and a pair of black Grafton with binder polish. The Chetwyn is a great shoe that fits me perfectly and IMO a real beauty. I don't think Church's deserves the bad reputation on this forum and on AAAC.

However i agree with Jeph that Grenson Albert is a great shoe. I own a pair in black and I am wearing them rigth now.

11. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

just not as good as they used to be. I remember as a student nearly 20 years ago (gosh, is it really so long ago) - I could just about afford Bally when deeply discounted in the sales, but Church's were always the 'dream' shoe. Wonderfully made, but never affordable. Recent trips to the retail shops really do not inspire any desire to buy anymore. Perhaps my memories are coloured or inaccurate, but I don't think I'm alone in noting the decline of Church's. However, they are still 'good' shoes, vastly better than the high street stuff as well as the 'designer' stuff.

12. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

Ok, so now I need you opinion on whether to get the C&J Cardiffs or the Grenson Alberts. The price diff is only about $50. They'll mostly be for jeans, khakis, and the occasional suit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. j

j Senior member Admin

To be technical about it, the closed-laced Grenson would be more appropriate with a suit. But you'll have a little more leeway with sizing (girth-wise) with the open laced shoe. In terms of styling, they are pretty much interchangeable to me. I think I like the color of the Grenson slightly better.

So, whatever you like! [​IMG]

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

the church's brown on brown spectators i bought a few months ago seems well-made and up-to-par with c&j. i have no complaints about it whatsoever. well, except for the fact that i think i'm the only guy around here who wears spectators. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

There are some many better options for shoes in the $500 range, that Church's pales in comparison.

16. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

No wonder the look of leather on Church's for Jill Sander wingtips seemed odd to my eye. And check out these " gems "
    [​IMG]

17. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

yeah i agree also this winters jil sanders are even better again by churches!

18. misterjase

misterjase Senior member

Church's are overpriced for what you get.

Church's are USD 980 or GBP 490 at one store here in Australia (Ref: Henry Bucks) which is ridiculous so it is not a surprise that people are reluctant to purchase.

19. neyus

neyus Senior member

Churchs arent bad value if you get them for around $50.00-$100.00 in non corrected leather.

20. misterjase

misterjase Senior member

I take a 7F and it is quite a challenge to find a shoe which I like at that price in my size (and I look for pre-Prada when I opt for second hand).