• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's vs Ferragamo?

mg1234

Reaction score
All,

I am new to this forum, and appreciate all of the useful information shared. I have always been a fan of Ferragamo shoes, particularly the captoes. I have a new pair in brown that fit well, are comfortable, and look great with slim trousers. However, I need a new pair of black in a similar style and am thinking of trying Church's. For those who have worn both, what comments can you make in regard to style and quality?

Thanks in advance

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg1234
All, I am new to this forum, and appreciate all of the useful information shared. I have always been a fan of Ferragamo shoes, particularly the captoes. I have a new pair in brown that fit well, are comfortable, and look great with slim trousers. However, I need a new pair of black in a similar style and am thinking of trying Church's. For those who have worn both, what comments can you make in regard to style and quality? Thanks in advance
You need to talk about specific models, but on aggregate, I think Ferragamos are sleeker than Church's.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think the Ferragamos fit better on my feet than Church's. My feet are on the narrow side.

cimabue

Reaction score
I have Ferragamo loafers, the Parigi, which I like but I'm not doing Italian-made welted shoes anymore. Just had a pair fall apart. Leave the heavy shoe-making to Northampton, if durability is your goal.

aleeboy

Reaction score
I'll make a general statement about the two brands.

Church's
Well built with nice leather. Very solid feel. Can find more stylish (i.e. non-conservative styles) for a more modern look.

Ferragamo
Styling is good on the non-Studio lines, unless you love the steel thingies
smile.gif

Can't compare at the same price point. Tramezza is at a higher price point, yet quality may not be that much better.

I would say Church's are a good shoe. I will most likely pick one of these up next as I'm not big-timer enough to get a pair of EG's / Lobbs

Johnny24

Reaction score
I like Church's a lot and I am planning on getting a pair in the coming year but I also have two pairs of Ferragamo Newland Captoe oxfords, one in black and the other brown. I believe these are part of the Studio line which catches flak on here for not being built as well as some of the better welted shoes made by Lobb, C&J and others.

Both of my pairs were bought at about $150 US when the full retail model is about $600 after taxes. They are sleek, slim and very nice looking. They are also made in Italy and of decent quality but not exactly up to the sometimes absurdly high standard seen on SF. Considering what I paid for them is about what a crappy Made in China Kenneth Cole or CK shoe would be at retail, I find them to be a steal. I suggest looking on eBay, that is where I found both of mine and if you are not in the most common size range 9-10.5 you might have some luck finding a lightly used pair in great shape. One of my pairs were used for a fashion shoe then sold so they were worn for less than a few hours and looked brand new, there was not even a hint of wear on the sole.

I did see a pair of Lobbs in a brown captoe on there for about $250 but they were a size small for me, my heart was broken. You can find some real deals if you look hard enough.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have a couple pair of both brands....Personally, just to me, Id prefer ferragamos. No real reason at all. They are both great shoes.

wow. Im helpful eh?

jnm23q

Reaction score
If you're willing to spend that dosh you may as well get Crockett and Jones - better built and better quality leather than either

BicesterRules

Reaction score
I have 4 pairs of church's and two ferragamos (one Lavorazione Originale , the other Tramezza).

The Church's came first, but after a while it was wearing thin and I tried the SFs. Overall SFs are nicer looking and more comfortable (naturally , this is personal) and I love them best but they seem to have sole quality issues that Churches do not- I have had to add metal toe taps on the SFs quite quickly

After u have a basis of solid shoes you need to go for "pretty"- I am going Zegna nowdays

BicesterRules

Reaction score
forgot to say- and this is SF anti-Christ stuff- but some more expensive stuff like EGs and JLobb Paris do not look that nice when you actually hold them in your hands- so I would disregard most of the aura around them in this forum.

That said I do need/plan to actually "waste" the money and buy some of them before I can come over and confirm my 1st impressions

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd probably give the nod to ferragamo but because of the tramezza line.

BicesterRules

Reaction score
no, I am afraid they just don't look that impressive.

As far as the exalted experience of walking around with them outside of a shop floor I wouldn't know but anyone selling these type of shoes on comfort grounds should have their head examined. Comfort shoes are to be found elsewhere, different materials, constructions, styles- and funny enough much, much cheaper.

Anyone trying to convince me of how great an EG adapts to one's "shoe print" over the years is clearly delusional, when off the shelf "comfort" shoes can give you that and more from day one for 1/10th of the price, so no point playing the comfort game

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BicesterRules
forgot to say- and this is SF anti-Christ stuff- but some more expensive stuff like EGs and JLobb Paris do not look that nice when you actually hold them in your hands- so I would disregard most of the aura around them in this forum.

That said I do need/plan to actually "waste" the money and buy some of them before I can come over and confirm my 1st impressions

what a moron

Originally Posted by BicesterRules
no, I am afraid they just don't look that impressive.

As far as the exalted experience of walking around with them outside of a shop floor I wouldn't know but anyone selling these type of shoes on comfort grounds should have their head examined. Comfort shoes are to be found elsewhere, different materials, constructions, styles- and funny enough much, much cheaper.

Anyone trying to convince me of how great an EG adapts to one's "shoe print" over the years is clearly delusional, when off the shelf "comfort" shoes can give you that and more from day one for 1/10th of the price, so no point playing the comfort game

Did anyone in this thread say EGs were more comfortable?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads