• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's v C&J and misc. style questions

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
I have the Armfield oxfords from Alfred Sargent, and they're fantastic. C&J Connaught may be a tad more conservative in terms of last design, so that might be a plus, depending on what you're after.
The Connaught from Crocketts is indeed their classic last and probably longest and best selling model in all Chestnut & Black calf.
For me the toe too rounded - the 348 the best ever.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find my Church's to be fair in quality. I'm a fan of AS and if you do as much walking as I do in NYC, you'll be surprised as to how durable their soles are; the uppers are closer to C&J HG standard (than BG). I find C&J good shoes but their soles do not wear as well and I admit I view their BG leather to be average. Vass is an excellent value if you find the right last/fit for you.

Depending on what type of law you practice, cap toes might be favored over plain toes. Most of my shoes are EG because their lasts fit me best but AS would probably be my mid-range go to brand.

Alden also makes some decent shoes if you want to stay USA.

Quantimil

Reaction score
^ Oak tanned soles make all the difference. The AS Exclusive, C&J Handgrade and Edward Green soles that I've walked on have been damn near indestructible compared to, say, non-oak tanned Loake or Trickers soles. C&J Benchgrade doesn't have them.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are solid.
The greatest upcharge you pay in more expensive shoes is for design and handwork, which does not make a shoe more durable.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are solid.
The greatest upcharge you pay in more expensive shoes is for design and handwork, which does not make a shoe more durable.
That's debatable isn't it? Some will argue that a hand-welted shoe is more durable since it isn't prone to gemming failure. Others will argue that gemming failure never happens anyway, so a hand-welted shoe isn't really more durable.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are solid.

Actually, the greatest up charge is for brand name.

Material and handwork does make a shoe more durable, i.e., hand lasting, hand welting, higher grade leather upper, higher grade leather sole, less canvass more leather, less plastic more leather, wider gemming, etc.

Durability is hard to measure as we have plenty of collectors of 50+ shoes taunting their shoes lasts 30+ years, which is mathematically equivalent to owning 10+ shoes for 6+ years...

What's the consensus on Meermin's quality? I walk extensively around New York and my shoes need some stamina. Thanks.

Quality is very good in my experience but the manufacturing variance is high.

twinpeaks

Reaction score
Anyone looking for a workhorse black shoe- captoe, etc- would be wrong to neglect Cheaney and Loake 1880. They are cheaper than C&J benchgrade and last longer.

I would never buy a C&J benchgrade as a workhorse shoe as they are relatively fragile shoes. In the case of a black shoe a CJ BG is an even worse idea, as one of CJs best selling points are uppers that start out with nice colours and are good enough to gain beautiful 'patinas' as they age i.e as you polish them with some nice cremes

Pembers

Reaction score

Anyone looking for a workhorse black shoe- captoe, etc- would be wrong to neglect Cheaney and Loake 1880. They are cheaper than C&J benchgrade and last longer.

I would never buy a C&J benchgrade as a workhorse shoe as they are relatively fragile shoes. In the case of a black shoe a CJ BG is an even worse idea, as one of CJs best selling points are uppers that start out with nice colours and are good enough to gain beautiful 'patinas' as they age i.e as you polish them with some nice cremes

I disagree with all of this - especially that Loake 1880 will outlast C&J benchgrade. Where you have got this from I have no idea. My black C&J Connaughts were my first pair of 'good' shoes - I got them when I turned eighteen three years ago and have worn them regularly since - and they still look almost new. Cheaney shoes are fine, but not significantly cheaper than C&J any more. I find them a bit soulless, but that's another conversation.

And I appreciate black leather that is good enough to take a deep shine just as much as patinated brown. More, actually.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the most part I think the differences between most of the mentioned brands are not too much. C&J BG vs. Chuch's, it would come down to preference; C&J BG vs. EG, then things can be pointed out but the price discrepancy makes that fairly obvious.

Find a style you like, decide on a last that is appealing, determine the proper size, and wear them for a couple of years. Should you find the shoes don't work out, you can always buy another brand/style down the line. If you like it, then you have a few resoles to revive the original pair.

twinpeaks

Reaction score
I disagree with all of this - especially that Loake 1880 will outlast C&J benchgrade. Where you have got this from I have no idea. My black C&J Connaughts were my first pair of 'good' shoes - I got them when I turned eighteen three years ago and have worn them regularly since - and they still look almost new. Cheaney shoes are fine, but not significantly cheaper than C&J any more. I find them a bit soulless, but that's another conversation.

And I appreciate black leather that is good enough to take a deep shine just as much as patinated brown. More, actually.
I dont think it is possible to be a true shoe aficionado and like black shoes.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dont think it is possible to be a true shoe aficionado and like black shoes.

In England it is still improper to wear non-black shoes in the city, or to work, or to any event that begins after 6 pm, or to any formal event in the daytime. That used to be the case in America too, I believe until the 1960s, or later. Take that into consideration before you make such a narrow-minded statement. As an Englishman, I believe a pair of perfectly-shined, black oxfords to be one of the most important items in an elegant man's wardrobe.

Last edited:

twinpeaks

Reaction score
I live in England but thank god I was not raised here so I don't have hangups about non-black shoes. In any case, neither do many of my English friends. I have worn brown and burgundy shoes all my professional life here to no apparent detriment.

The majority of people who think black shoes are 'the' 'professional' shoes are either of a certain age, of a restricted profession or not knowledgeable about international business wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads