• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Churchs shoes--shannon

hammerhead

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this shoe? I like it and the allen edmond leeds but prefer the chunkiness of the shannon. Any other ideas? Any complaints about churchs?

Stiva

Reaction score
I have been buying Church's Custom Grade since 2007 (post-Prada), and they have been great shoes. That is comparing them to C & J, (earlier) Grensons and Cheaney, which I also rate highly for mid-range brands. I can only presume the criticisms directed to the brand in this forum are to the "fashion" and "city" styles - which I must admit look ghastly. Two other comments. First, I find the derbies to be a clunky style. I would always get an Oxford, semi-brogue or a brogue wingtip. Secondly, I would never get polished binder again. I bought two pair before I saw the light. They scuff, they don't take polish well, they have a shorter lifespan, and they look cheap.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
The Shannon is a great shoe. Their Grafton model is a classic too, a proper battleship of a shoe. Both great if you actually walk in your shoes beyond going to the car from the house and to the office from the car.

The7Ups

Reaction score
Quote:
The only problem for the OP is that Shannon predominantly comes in Polished Binder and while I agree with you that binder can cheapen the look, the RRP of Shannon is anything but! 425GBP seems to be going price for them at Herring Shoes http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=4&shoeid=166 I think it’s a great shoe and as Brummie says they are built like tanks and for me Church's storm welting is much better then say C&J’s. However if you are going to drop 425GBP on a pair if you could stretch by another 100 or so you will get the cordovan or crup version in burgundy (black crup can be MTO for an additional upcharge). Edwards of Manchester have a 20% off offer on Church's this month, you will need a code so you will have to contact them, and currently they have the sandalwood colour Shannon. Discount would bring them down to 340GBP plus shipping. Otherwise keep an eye on Herrings clearance section where black and burgundy colours sometimes get listed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads