• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Shoes I Found

marysdad

Reaction score
I picked up this pair of Church's shoes at a local thrift store on Tuesday evening (oddly, I was early for a church service, so made a pass through our Salvation Army store on the way). They have been worn a few times, but not much. They are burgundy color. The sole is marked 81/2 C, so I am thinking they were made for sale in the USA (I'm in rural No. CA). I wore them all day Wednesday and walked a couple of miles, put them in trees, then took these pics tonight. My questions are:

How do I determine if these are calf or cordovan?
Any way to determine how old these are?
I wore them with charcoal slacks and a dark Harris Tweed coat and wasn't too sure they went all that great. What colors should this shoe go well with?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are shell cordovan. and my guess is at least 10 years old but beautiful! Like new.
Cordo= rolls Calf = wrinkles Congratulations to you. Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited:

marysdad

Reaction score
Wow! Cordovan. They were $6.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up this pair of Church's shoes

How do I determine if these are calf or cordovan?
Any way to determine how old these are?

The shoe look very very good. :slayer:
The shoe at least 10 year old because they made before Prada took over company.
Walk in them for day and repost close up picture of vamp so we tell if shell cordovan.
lt could be grain corrected,
it most likely.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wore them with charcoal slacks and a dark Harris Tweed coat and wasn't too sure they went all that great. 

you did very well son. the plain toe blucher is a classic. enjoy them and wear'em in good health.

marysdad

Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to take a picture, however, I did wear them to church on Sunday. After wearing, they do exhibit very fine creases inside the larger rolls. They're probably calf leather. Still a very nice shoe in a color/style that I did not have. Thanks for the help!

Ralph

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That color will go with most anything but charcoal and black (and then, sometimes). Navy, lighter grays, any variation of tan or brown, olive...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads