• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's shoes are comparable to...?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm just curious which other shoemaker compares to Church's? Are C&J's better? Are Alden's worse?
confused.gif

Tromperie

Reaction score
In my experience, there's not too much difference between C&J and Church's vis-a-vis quality. You'll find some who criticise Church's for the supposed decline in the quality of their shoes ever since the Prada Group took over the company, and although I cannot compare pre/post-Prada quality, there is not much of a discernible difference. C&Js are slightly cheaper these days IIRC, at least in the UK; a pair of Church's will set you back over £330, while C&Js can still be had - or so I believe - for under £300.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality-wise I'd put Church's at the same level as C&J handgrades. The lasts, shapes and materials with the binder leather are a different story, tho.

Moral of the story: stick with EG.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I'm just curious which other shoemaker compares to Church's? Are C&J's better? Are Alden's worse?
confused.gif

goodyear Church not really compare to other brand,
they are unique,
very solid with very thick insole.
A good shoe to experience.
C&J benchgrade < Church

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes man
are prada shoes comparable to Church's ?

NO!
teacha.gif

Cheaper leather,
thin insole.
Many constructions inferior,
not hold down upper as solid as goodyear (put blake/blake-rapid/goodyear in stress test)...good goodyear (Church) hold up better.
Many Prada have fake sole stitch.
Goodyear Church make for solid protective shoe.

Loupe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes man
are prada shoes comparable to Church's ?

Nope, the church's are to Prada what Bentley is to Audi.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ ^ ^

Perhaps I haven't found the right EG last, but unfortunately C&J and Chruch seem to fit my feet better. Regardless of the price, I'd still go for C&J or Church because of the fit. It ain't worth the extra £££ if it just don't fit right.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which C&J & Crutch lasts fit you best?

My experience is the exact opposite.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

This is probably due to differences in our foot shape. Probably the C&amp;J 348 in a G width. Also the 236... Church 116 on a G fitting also seem to fit quite well. I have EGs on the 202 and 82 in normal width fitting, and the main problem seems to be that the heel area is too large for me relative to the width of the front part of the shoe, and the shoe slips at the back more than I would like.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wear G in C&amp;J &amp; Church's but and E in EG?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Then just save, buddy.
Thank you for the farcical argument. I can get 2 C&J's / Church's for the price of 1 EG... and considering that in the city, one walks A LOT, I rather have another two pairs of shoes that i can rotate than 1 extra pair that I cannot. Additionally: due to the metal shank, are Alden's and Church's inherently stiffer when new? I tried to walk in both whilst in a shoe store and I had minor heel slippage and I'm wondering if its due to the extra stiffness brought on by the steel shank. Comparably my AE's without steel shanks don't have the save problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads