• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Sahara vs Alden Suede Chukka

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to add a leather sole chukka to my sand Clarks for the upcoming season (a bit dressier).

I know the Alden flex welt suede chukka is a favorite here

http://blog.leffot.com/2009/06/19/fathers-day-vi/

Anyone have any experience with the Church's Sahara? I would be getting them in either dark brown or navy (
eek.gif
)

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

The Church's appear to be a bit cheaper from Herringshoes with the pound at 1.52

__CB__

Reaction score
Navy Church's look the nicest of that lot. I have a pair of Sahara's (but with crepe sole), very comfortable boot that I doubt you'll have any regrets with.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __CB__
Navy Church's look the nicest of that lot. I have a pair of Sahara's (but with crepe sole), very comfortable boot that I doubt you'll have any regrets with.

+1, those navy Church's are amazing.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __CB__

I'm looking for a pair that I could wear with wool pants (grey) on a casual spring / summer Friday as well as with jeans on the weekend... Do you feel your Sahara's wit the crepe sole fit the bill? I feel the crepe confines them to casual wear (which is fine for Clark's pricing, but seems less so for $340)

Agape

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
I'm looking for a pair that I could wear with wool pants (grey) on a casual spring / summer Friday as well as with jeans on the weekend... Do you feel your Sahara's wit the crepe sole fit the bill? I feel the crepe confines them to casual wear (which is fine for Clark's pricing, but seems less so for $340)

I'm looking at the same shoe and have the same concern.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agape
I'm looking at the same shoe and have the same concern.

To me the Sahara is the most elegant out of all the shoes here. They exist in both leather and crepe sole versions as well, so if you're concerned about the crepe sole being too casual, you could go for the leather ones.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a couple of months with the Church's Sahara, I'm happy with the purchase. It's a stretch to wear the crepe sole version with grey wool pants but I wear them with khakis and a dress shirt on casual fridays at the office, along with raw denim

I went with the "maracca" brown, but Leffot has added a navy version as well

http://blog.leffot.com/wp-content/up...5/DSC_0074.jpg

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
church's are the bond shoe from the latest movie

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Does anybody know how the Church's Sahara fit compared to the Alden unlined suede chukka (leydon last)? I have the aldens in a 9.5d.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Church's, though I think the Alden might be the better shoe overall and is beautiful; Church's wins for aesthetic reasons.

laughter95

Reaction score
I haven't tried the church's but I just got the alden unlined dark brown in leydon. Most important thing is the fit. Make sure that these shoes for correctly and that they don't slide too much in the heel. This shoe is more likely to slide since there's just two eyelets.

Another thing to consider is that the alden's have a flex welt sole which has a metal shank in it for support. I really enjoy this on the heel strike of the step. Wish my crockett jones had this.

iiut would definitely consider it if I had a local store to try on the churches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads