• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's new 'Shanghai' like? or not?

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What do you guys think of Church's new Shanghai? I've seen this shoes being propped up in several Japanese publications....

From what I read, its made in Italy. Blake-rapid / cemented heel construction. Intentionally distressed Calf/nubuck upper, and the soles are in fact RUBBER made to look like old leather....

Supposedly a faithful reconstruction of an old 'Shanghai' model from 1929 in Church's archive: Retails GBP 530...

sprout

Reaction score

What do you guys think of Church's new Shanghai? I've seen this shoes being propped up in several Japanese publications....
From what I read, its made in Italy. Blake-rapid / cemented heel construction. Intentionally distressed Calf/nubuck upper, and the soles are in fact RUBBER made to look like old leather....
Supposedly a faithful reconstruction of an old 'Shanghai' model from 1929 in Church's archive: Retails GBP 530...

uhoh.gif

inlandisland

Reaction score
I think that looks awful. And bad.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "faithful reconstruction" is a VERY generous statement. Either that or this line was originally designed by Ed Hardy's great, great grandfather.

Last edited:

sprout

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "faithful reconstruction" is a VERY generous statement. Either that or this line was originally designed by Ed Hardy's great, great grandfather.

laugh.gif

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that looks awful. And bad.

...and it's not even made in China, yet it's called Shanghai... go figure.

"Intentionally distressed".. no thanks, I'd rather distress my own shoes with natural wear and tear.

Last edited:

swiego

Reaction score
Those are the least attractive shoes I've seen posted on this site.

Verniza

Reaction score
I almost puked my dinner but then again, I think it would still look better.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Brilliant for getting publicity, which is doubtless the aim, so a successful product in that regard. Looks awful. And £530...?
rotflmao.gif

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Intentionally distressed? Looks more like they were dug out of the ruins of Shanghai after the war... really, really horrible.

I hate what Prada is doing to Church's...

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More views from the Shanghai collection (from a Japanese store website)

Apparently the collection also includes oxfords, derbies etc... and also women's shoes

If you're looking to buy one, you must act quick. Fashionistas in Italy (and apparently in Japan) are jumping up and down. They're selling out quick! :crackup:

FYI, 115,500 JPY is $1500 USD / 950 GBP :facepalm:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

If you're looking to buy one, you must act quick. Fashionistas in Italy (and apparently in Japan) are jumping up and down. They're selling out quick!... FYI, 115,500 JPY is $1500 USD / 950 GBP :facepalm:

I hate people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics