1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Churchs Lasts And Shoe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NewYorkIslander, Mar 3, 2010.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

How do you find the last on this shoe? I'm generally a 9.5 D in US or an 8.5 E in C&J...any help on sizing would be appreciated for the following shoe:

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

Also, any comments re: the shoe and how it compares to other English brogues would be appreciated. 81 LAST

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Others might be inclined to disagree but I think you'd get more for your money with the different Northampton shoemakers. Not that Church's don't make a very good shoe when they put their mind to it, but I don't see any advantage over specific bench grade Tricker's or C&J models, unless you are particularly keen on their styling. You'd actually have to go a far way just to beat the Cheaney Premier Range (The top line Herrings, for £225). Mine are four years old now, and have been re-crafted once by Cheaney. They are worn in torrential rain and everything else, from muddy fields to pavement. They still look great! [​IMG]

3. onix

onix Senior member

How is Church's custom grade compared to C&J lines?

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

How is Church's custom grade compared to C&J lines?

Again, as above, it just seems to be a similar shoe for a larger price. Great shoes, as I said, but nothing in particular to justify the difference.

5. Leather man

Leather man Senior member

How do you find the last on this shoe? I'm generally a 9.5 D in US or an 8.5 E in C&J...any help on sizing would be appreciated for the following shoe:

Also, any comments re: the shoe and how it compares to other English brogues would be appreciated. 81 LAST

The last is very roomy indeed. I cannot advise you on your American size but you need Church's F width if you are D/E American width. Herrings will help.

Re the comment on Cheaney's - I have a pair of their top Signature range too - nice shoes, not a patch on Church's. But lets not start another Church's love/hate to C&J or not to C&J thread!

6. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

Note that binder is corrected grain. They've been doing it forever, but just know what you're getting.

7. EBugatti

EBugatti Senior member

NYR-- so I am your size: 9.5D US and I wear an 8.5F in those Church's. I own two pairs of Burwoods--they are roomier than say a C&J 348 last E fitting (which I need to size up on).

To answer the question on comparing this shoe to the Cheaney: This is a heavy, double-soled brogue; almost a country shoe, but a bit more elegant. It's really quite different from the Cheaney shown, which is a more standard city brogue. Also, the Burwood has a corrected "binder finish" grain which some on this forum don't like--but I like it very much especially in the sandlewood.

Final note: If you're "barely" a 9.5D (i.e. anything bigger and you're swimming in the shoe), this shoe may feel a bit wide. I find it very comfortable. YMMV. Herrings can definitely help as well.

8. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

'Polished binder' = corrected grain (albeit of good quality -- I have an old pair of derbies in this leather and they have held up well, but zero patina) PS Come to think of it, I have a Church's on that last, the Fairfield: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0 It's a 6.5 and I can wear it (though it's perhaps a wee bit short for me), whereas I take a 7 for most other shoes.

9. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Church's sell their 'polished binder' shoes for the same price as 'calf', I have a pair of the former and several of the latter from Church's but happy with both types. Church's are on par with C&J, although in terms of shoe construction Church's is better at it; however, there slightly overpriced.

In general, 8.5 medium width in C&J (8.5E) is the same size in Church's 81 last (8.5F). Although depending on what C&J lasts you have experience with, if it is a very narrow last then you would probably need 8.5 narrow for the Church's (8.5E).

10. Rossini

Rossini Senior member

Church's are on par with C&J, although in terms of shoe construction Church's is better at it

I think that's right too. Nice to see it said. Church's are too often unfairly maligned.