• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's For Jil Sander - Thoughts?

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, there are a few of these on yoox right now, prices from $370-$430 ish... Worth the money in terms of quality? I like some of the styles offered, but reading through the archives of post-Prada Church's purchases (cracking leather, etc) makes me hesitant to buy.

Insights plz.
inlove.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would simply fin a similar styled shoe from one of the other British makers which you can get in the same price range, although I'm not going to front, I do like that Jil Sander wholecut on there. Almost all those styles are available from Trickers, Grenson, C&J and you won;t have to worry about the quality. Now, if you like this model, you won't find it from the other makers so you'll have to get the Jil Sanders and then be promptly excommunicated from this site.

http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/JIL+SA...s/searchResult

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Of course in general I'm biased in favor of Jil Sander but I think for that price range you could definitely do worse. I believe the Church's range was $595-800, so those prices on yoox are at about 50%. That's not an amazing, mind-blowing deal or anything, nor would you probably make your money back if you ever decide to resell them, but if you want a neat shoe that you plan to keep for a while, I think they're fine. They're considerably better than the regular JIl Sander line, produced in the same facilities as Prada. Obviously, they're a lot less nice than the Lattanzi Sanders, but they are also 1/8 the price.

So... if you have the cash... go for it. But, be aware that often the shape of Sander's shoes make them difficult to wear as a standard, "go-to" shoe like a Crockett&Jones or an EG. I find the toe shape is usually rounder and bulbier (is that a word?) than many classic styles and so sometimes it can feel a little odd.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
440874853N_2.jpg
440874783N_2.jpg
Specifically, these. Reading a little blurb on Men.style.com seems to indicate that they use 'Goodyear construction' [sic], so I guess that's a plus.
tongue.gif

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The New York City Barney's stocks the Church's for Jil Sander lineup. They are definitely above average as compared to most designer shoes, but altogether lower in quality than a comparable product from Crockett & Jones (benchmade). The lasting is quite slim, with an elongated toebox that fits similarly to the C&J 348. The JS shoes I've handled are made from full grain leather and goodyear welted.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these are nice, especially in light of the escalating cost of british shoes (see brooks brothers)

southgate house

Reaction score
I like how yoox describes them as "self tie." unfortunately they are not magic and cannot tie themselves. damn.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southgate house
I like how yoox describes them as "self tie." unfortunately they are not magic and cannot tie themselves. damn.
YOU DONT KNOW THAT. Deal of the century, man, deal of the century...
bounce2.gif

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, quick bump... How does the sizing typically run? I take a 9.5D, would I drop down to an 8.5 or an 8 UK?

Kiwi Man

Reaction score

Oh, quick bump... How does the sizing typically run? I take a 9.5D, would I drop down to an 8.5 or an 8 UK?

I have a similar question. I usually wear size 7 on Lanvin, Dolce & Gabbana, or Alexander McQueen, so I don't know if these shoes on size 6 would work......

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a similar question. I usually wear size 7 on Lanvin, Dolce & Gabbana, or Alexander McQueen, so I don't know if these shoes on size 6 would work......

For the JS made by Church's, my experience is full size down from US size. The shoes I had were on an elongated last which was slightly narrow. Not sure if they are using a similar last for the shoes you are interested in.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
I don't know what elongated last is, but this is the one that is about to be mine.

How much did they pay for yours? I got mine for about USD300. I don't know if I overpay them.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know what elongated last is, but this is the one that is about to be mine.

How much did they pay for yours? I got mine for about USD300. I don't know if I overpay them.

As long you are happy you didn't overpay :)

Saw these actually since I think we wear the same size. The last is 9746 and was the exact same one used on mine. Pretty much the exact same shoe although mine was a dark brown U tip. I think I paid a couple hundred from mine but it was from Barney's warehouse sale.

Macallan

Reaction score

$370-$430 ish... Worth the money in terms of quality? I like some of the styles offered,

Price - £280 is a high sale price for the UK; however, for the US it does seem a decent sale price
Worth the price - see above
Style - you like

Get the shoes, despite what people say about the quality; I have one pre and four post Prada shoes from Church's and do think some of the criticism is unfair. There have introduced some awful shoes and the RRP is too over-priced now; although I now buy Edward Green shoes, I still wear my Church's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads