• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's different lasts ?

supera

Reaction score
There some different Church's lasts.

I've found at least the following:

Can someone help me to understand the difference between those. I've tried to search
in many sites but now help. I appreciate any help, thnx.

HHD

Reaction score
The Church's pages on Herring Shoes name the lasts of most models: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/brands.php?brandID=4 The 002 is a long, elegant last used for the "Royal" or "Masterclass" models. The 73 is a traditional and popular Church's last, which was replaced by the unloved 100 last shortly after the company passed into the hands of Prada. You can still buy 73 last models on Herring's excellent site. Church's now has a 173 last, which is said to combine the sturdy Englishness of the 73 with the unlamented 100. 93 appears to be a loafer last (Darwin model). 101 is another loafer, with a rounder toe. Yet another loafer - the Hertford - uses the 111 last. It's a nice shoe. Herring describes the 108 last as "sleek and fashionable", make of that what you will. I've seen it on a few models, and it looks too pointy for my liking. They don't feel like Church's shoes ought to feel. By contrast, the Burwood's 81 last has a "roomy toe" - a solid, very English shoe suitable for kicking about in the country. Hope this helps. There are many more by the look of things, but Church's doesn't have the explanatory material or dedicated fans of Edward Green.

JDL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
The Church's pages on Herring Shoes name the lasts of most models:

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/brands.php?brandID=4

You can still buy 73 last models on Herring's excellent site. Church's now has a 173 last, which is said to combine the sturdy Englishness of the 73 with the unlamented 100.

I like the 73 last models (especialy at c £200) and have 4 pairs but at the moment many (most?) are sold out - at least the G fit I require. And I notice a large number of 173's being added over the last month at full price (c £300)
plain.gif

supera

Reaction score
thnx a lot.

Actually I was ordering a pair of 73's from Herrings a couple of week ago. I'd like to order model Charles (last002) now.

I usually wear AE shoes size 10.5 B/C. Is the last 002 and size 9,5UK close of those ?

If You compare the quality of Royal series, are those worth of buying?

r_fine

Reaction score
There is also a 113 last. Fairly elongated, moderate square toe.

Leather man

Reaction score
There is also a 130 last which boasts a classic chissel toe and also a 119 last which Church's use on both a £300 price range and a top end £395 price range the latter look very handsome. This last ( I have one pair on it) has an elongated toe , slightly narrow at the end and a soft square shape.

This is both the joy and frustration of Church's. I believe no other English shoemaker has such a range of shoe models and lasts in production, making for a great choice but also meaning one can never ever know what Church's have available - as they do not put many of their shoes in their catalogue.

JDL

Reaction score
I was in their factory outlet earlier today and an unusually helpful and well informed assistant told me that the 100 last is discontinued to be replaced by the 173.

Good news was they had quite a few 73’s shoes in their sale (not seconds) and I got myself the brogues I could not get at Herring’s, and at less than half price :)

J

Edit: A check on the Herrings web site shows they now have virtualy no stock of 73's in any size,

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 73 is/was a great last; I can't say I'm sorry to see the 100 gone though.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Can someone help pointing out how "roomy" is 173 last in comparison to 73?

I wear size 10.5 on 73 last, should I order the same size and fit on 173 last??

Trying the shoes is not an option as there are no shops selling church's where I live.

Thanks

lexmann

Reaction score

Trying the shoes is not an option as there are no shops selling church's where I live.

Thanks

173 is not roomy at all. It is just a bit longer. I take size 85F on 173 and 90F on 73.

Galix

Reaction score
Hi!

Sorry to take back this thread from the underworld but I have a quick question about shoe size, specifically for a last nr. 173. I normally wear a UK 7 E size (i.e. Tricker's). I saw a nice deal on Church's but the size is a UK 7 G. Is that a huge difference in fit? Would it still be comfortable to wear?

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lexmann
Originally Posted by [email protected]

173 is not roomy at all. It is just a bit longer.

That's exactly what Herrings had posted on their website when they started to stock the 173 alongside the 73. They recommended getting the same size.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the marking from a Church's Canon monkstrap. Does this indicate last 50? IE is the last number always written after the size/width?

IMG_5535.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads