• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Consul??

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I normally wear a size 10E in C&J shoes. I am looking to purchase some a pair of Consuls in 11F would these be ridiculously big? They are supposed to be on the 73 last and calf leather, not the corrected leather.

Seller is asking for around $300 USD and they have only been shop worn. Is that a fair price?

Mac

Reaction score
I'm not sure how C&J shoes compare to Church's regarding size, but I'm going to pick up some Church's from a friend who's a size 10. I'm not sure which model they are but if you want to hold off on purchasing a pair that will invariably be too big, I could see?

In any event, I think the 11F would be too big. Consuls are also quite chunky - especially compared to C&J - not sure if that's what you're looking for but I thought I'd give you a heads up anyway.

$300 is probably a fair price, yes.

Macallan

Reaction score
I normally wear 8.5F for English-made Church's; however, for the Consul model (my only pair in the 173 last) I wear 8F. My C&J's are 8.5E.

Taking into account, Church's F and C&J' E are both medium width

If the shoes are in the 73 last, you should go for 10F
If the shoes are in the 173 last, you should be dropping down half a size (9.5F)

Although the Consul is mainly found in the 173 last, I am aware there is some production in the 73 last; however, new shoes made in the 73 last are inferior to standard Church's (i.e. http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...dID=4&catID=38)

Not sure about US pricing for Church's, here (http://www.douglasreadshoes.co.uk/me...mal_smart.html) is an example of the Consul model in the 73 last.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I tried a pair of 11F on today at the NY store and there was not enough space to fit a finger's width, behind my heel. From what I am reading, the 73 last may be even larger?

Simon29

Reaction score
Sorry to revive this thread, but thought I'd avoid starting a new topic if possible.

I am in the market for a black oxford shoe around the 300 pound price range (after VAT discount) and have my eye on the Church Consul (Last 176). I tried on a pair of Church 'Hong Kong' (Last 136) in size 7G at my local store and whilst the length was fine, they were tight width wise (could feel my big toe rubbing against the side). The size 7.5G was too long.

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about how the width of these two Lasts compare? I will have to order online from the UK as unfortunately high-end shoe availability locally is dismal (the Church Hong Kong was the only oxford available for me to try). I am trying to decide whether to order the Consul in 7G in the hope that it will be a little roomier, or to go ahead and order the 7H (but I've heard the extra-wide sizes can somewhat ruin the overall look of the shoe). Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Bumping this thread to life again.

I'm looking at a pair of rubber-soled Church Consul. As I've never tried Church before and can't try them where I live, can anyone tell me how last 173 compares with EG's last 202, which fits me fairly well in UK 7E?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads