• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got the extra pair of Brand New in Box Church's Chetwynd in Burgundy Calf, size UK 9 US 10 . These are marked as "S" for no reason.

The Church's web shop price is~ $800.

Price for Styleforum members = $270+ shipping to your location via Paypal.
I might have been tempted if they were an 8.5. :)

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got the extra pair of Brand New in Box Church's Chetwynd in Burgundy Calf, size UK 9 US 10 . These are marked as "S" for no reason.

The Church's web shop price is~ $800.

Price for Styleforum members = $270+ shipping to your location via Paypal.
May I ask why you are selling?

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask why you are selling?

Of course! I made the transition to Edward Green shoes hence these will probably never be worn ..

Though, I am still wearing some of the Church's styles like Ryder, Mirfield and Consul that are already in rotation ..

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course! I made the transition to Edward Green shoes hence these will probably never be worn ..

Though, I am still wearing some of the Church's styles like Ryder, Mirfield and Consul that are already in rotation ..
I thought you said you found Church’s more comfortable than Edward Green? I would have thought it would be worth putting them to good use for the next several years. But no doubt you have a fiendish plan that involves purchasing the Edward Green model that makes you tremble and your heart pound at the very thought. I’m plotting a pair of Ryder, but for next year. We shall stay sensible, for now. :D

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True! The Church's shoes fit my feet best, however, the overall aesthetic of EG shoes are much more appealing to me and the comfort is not that far off, so lately I am gravitating towards them ..

You can't go wrong with the Ryder, some will say Chiltern from Crockett Jones is a better idea. I own both and the Ryder is by far better fitting shoe.

wdrenth

Reaction score
Recently I obtained from a second hand shop a pair of Church's Longleat brogues. Don't know the general appreciation of this model; I find it quite elegant and sleek, though the nose may look a bit odd from some angles.

The writing inside the shoes has faded such that the last number if gone.

Would anyone know the last on which the Longleat was made?

Thanks!

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I would guess 108.

Recently I obtained from a second hand shop a pair of Church's Longleat brogues. Don't know the general appreciation of this model; I find it quite elegant and sleek, though the nose may look a bit odd from some angles.

The writing inside the shoes has faded such that the last number if gone.

Would anyone know the last on which the Longleat was made?

Thanks!

stijn

Reaction score
My first pair of decent shoes were the Church's diplomat on the 73 last. I have never looked at church again since the Prada era but as my first diplomats have seen their best days (too much damage) I am now looking at them again. I have never studied the shoes once they have been bought by Prada, it was just hearsay.

How would you rate the custom grade series as of today? Is there a huge difference between the 73 last and 173 last in terms of fitting?

I have size 9,5F UK in the diplomat from back in the day, is the sizing the same with the new lasts?

Thoughts? I'm also considering a pair of Alden 911's as they're very similar imo.

Thanks!

rakuskus

Reaction score
My first pair of decent shoes were the Church's diplomat on the 73 last. I have never looked at church again since the Prada era but as my first diplomats have seen their best days (too much damage) I am now looking at them again. I have never studied the shoes once they have been bought by Prada, it was just hearsay.

How would you rate the custom grade series as of today? Is there a huge difference between the 73 last and 173 last in terms of fitting?

I have size 9,5F UK in the diplomat from back in the day, is the sizing the same with the new lasts?

Thoughts? I'm also considering a pair of Alden 911's as they're very similar imo.

Thanks!

cant speak about the sizing since I dont own any pre prada, for reference, I wear 10.5 E 325 C&J and a 10.5 F 173 Church's or 10 G 173 Church's and 10.5 fit 5 for tricker's 4444.

About the quality, I dont see why this is a concern! I would say it will satisfy any shoes aficionado. Simillar to CJ mainline. However IMO definitely overprice. I always buy church's from their outlet since they have almost every model and every size for around 30% cheaper.

I will buy diplomat for it looks alone, 173 last is very pleasing.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

I had a pair of Diplomats dating from 1999 / 2000 on the old last.

When Church's were repairing them in 2006 they 'damaged' them and sent me a replacement pair for the price of the repair (£80 then). The old ones were a 7.5 and they sent another 7.5 as the replacement. I recall the last then was the 100 - I'll need to check. The style of the toecap is different but the fit pretty much the same and the quality at least as good.

I normally take a size 8 in all dress shoes including Church's but, for some reason, the Diplomats fit very well in a 7.5...

I would not hesitate to recommend post-Prada Church’s shoes. I have three pairs including the Diplomats.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Consuls - plain black Oxfords in calf. Bought in the factory shop near the railway station. There are a couple of other models that might be of interest like the Grafton in a decent calf leather. Happy to own shoes from this major Northampton brand.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I wore a pair of post-Prada Italian-made Church's ankle boots - The Glen. Over 10 years old and standing up very well.

Angelico 11 19 feets.JPG

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Consuls - plain black Oxfords in calf. Bought in the factory shop near the railway station. There are a couple of other models that might be of interest like the Grafton in a decent calf leather. Happy to own shoes from this major Northampton brand.

My shell Grafton are quite possibly my favourite shoe. They had been worn a couple of times by a previous owner so not sure of their age but I would imagine post Prada takeover most likely.

Quality and finish seems at last equal to my Crockett & Jones shoes and boots.

They only seem to do the Grafton in polished binder currently which is a shame. I passed up a pair of walnut grain earlier in the year which seems unavailable now unfortunately.

stijn

Reaction score
cant speak about the sizing since I dont own any pre prada, for reference, I wear 10.5 E 325 C&J and a 10.5 F 173 Church's or 10 G 173 Church's and 10.5 fit 5 for tricker's 4444.

About the quality, I dont see why this is a concern! I would say it will satisfy any shoes aficionado. Simillar to CJ mainline. However IMO definitely overprice. I always buy church's from their outlet since they have almost every model and every size for around 30% cheaper.

I will buy diplomat for it looks alone, 173 last is very pleasing.

Thanks a lot for your experience. Just searched for an outlet, didn't know there were any! I'll give them a call and ask for the diplomat. Thanks a lot!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads