• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

Closer

Reaction score
I know Church's gets no love on SF. This thread is your chance to admit that you own and actually like Church's shoes.

Ok, I will go first. I have been on the forum for over a year now. I have ordered many Allen Edmonds and Ralph Lauren shoes online. I have grown to truly hate buying shoes online: the waiting, the sending them back, the waiting again. This weekend I decided to walk into a shoe store, try on shoes and leave with shoes that fit, even if it meant paying retail.

Thankfully, I did not have to resort to paying retail. The Church's, at Galleria Houston, actually had several styles on sale. I ended up with a Church's Consul, Custom Grade, black, cap toe on the 100 last in Nevada Leather. I needed another black cap toe.

I know some will say that there are better values out there, and that Church does use corrected grain leather on many of its offerings. Some will also say that since they were aquired by Prada, they are not the same. If you like Church's shoes please speak up, and add to this thread.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Closer
I know Church's gets no love on SF.

That's because anything post Prada is rubbish?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
That's because anything post Prada is rubbish?

Curious, do you own any Church's or had any significant experience with it post Prada purchase?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Curious, do you own any Church's or had any significant experience with it post Prada purchase?

lurker[1].gif

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I wouldn't dream of it. Living within 5 minutes walking distance of three Church's (Jermyn Street, Regent Street & Bond Street) stores I often check them, and all their offerings at similar price points to other reputable makers are just a waste of money in construction and quality. I would, however, consider buying a vintage pair and sending them off to be recrafted. Alan Mcafee or something similar, or even just a very old pair of Church's in good condition. But new? You've got to be joking!

Closer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I wouldn't dream of it. Living within 5 minutes walking distance of three Church's (Jermyn Street & Regent Street & Bond Street) stores I often check them, and all their offerings at similar price points to other reputable makers are just a waste of money in construction and quality.

I would, however, consider buying a vintage pair and sending them off to be recrafted. Alan Mcafee or something similar, or even just a very old pair of Church's in good condition. But new? You've got to be joking!

I wouldn't dream of it = no
You've got to be joking! = hell **** no

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair that are over 25 years old.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my grandpa has some old vintage Church's he could sell you. Then you could get them recrafted, you know since it is walking distance and all. Then when you are done you wouldn't have to worry about some other bloke getting 50.00 more value from a pair of Trickers or C&Js, and would also get some sense of joy in your life that may prevent from needlessly derailing my thread.

I don't really understand your point?

Closer

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. There are enough threads bashing Church's. I was trying to start a more positive thread about the brand, and see if anyone has any post-prada experience.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. There are enough threads bashing Church's. I was trying to start a more positive thread about the brand, and see if anyone has any post-prada experience.

You asked for my experience, and I gave it! I'm sure there might be a few people here who like them, but not me.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
I have a pair that are over 25 years old.

Antirabbit,
25 years wow!
I would like to ask you a question (or anyone else lurking)

With all care measures (lotioning, rotation, trees, etc,),
how long can a pair of shoes last before the uppers just give way?

I know there are no absolutes,,but just curious.

25 years is quite impressive. My Compliments.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered these: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0 I don't care about the price, or what else I could have gotten - my fiancee liked these specifically and I am going to wear them to my wedding (assuming that when they come in they look good with the rest of my outfit).

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I have two pairs of Church's, both thrifted, a pair of brown monkstraps and a suede semi-sneaker. I don't have much occasion to wear the latter, but I do once in a while when I'm going somewhere a sneaker would be ideal but just a smidgeon to casual (particularly if I plan to get there on my bike).

I wear the monkstraps a lot and they might be my favorite pair of shoes. I can't tell you if they are pre-Prada, but I would bet that they are.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Church's have alwasy seemed like English Aldens to me: sturdy, stodgy, no-nonsense shoes. I have no idea how Prada ownership has affected them; never even tried on a pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads