• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Church Mcpherson.
1627226283215.png

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you post more pics please. I am trying to decide whether to buy these or a pair of crockett and jones chepstow. Apples and oranges I know but more photos will help. I have the mcfarlane and McEntire and I love the last.
This is the only other picture that I have (I dont have an i phone).
The other shoe is a Cheaney Avon.
1627238238101.png

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
Are your Mcpherson on the st moritz sole? It's a sole I really like for comfort and grip but the pair I've found are on a commando.

aquatherm

Reaction score

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beat the price hike!

Admittedly self serving post :hide:: I still have a pair of NIB Church's Tewkesbury in Espresso Brown 9.5UK/10.5US | Styleforum for sale:

1627390886735.png

I'm surprise that no one is talking about church's price jump. A pair of church's will cost upward 700 GBP

for example chetwynd classic church's model

https://www.churchfootwear.com/gb/en/men/style/brogues/products.nevada_leather_oxford_brogue.EEB007_9XM_F0AEV_F_000000.html

I love church's shoes, but now I really think they are well overprice. What do you guys think?

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chetwynd at £750! lol .. The quality is definitely there, it's just not worth the asking price .. I would rather buy 2 pairs of Crockett Jones for that money ..

Remember I bought the Chetwynd at their Factory Shop seconds back in 2018 for £240 when they were £450 in store ..

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
Chetwynd at £750! lol .. The quality is definitely there, it's just not worth the asking price .. I would rather buy 2 pairs of Crockett Jones for that money ..

Remember I bought the Chetwynd at their Factory Shop seconds back in 2018 for £240 when they were £450 in store ..
The equivalent crockett and jones are £480 so good luck buying two pairs for £750

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The equivalent crockett and jones are £480 so good luck buying two pairs for £750

Nah, Chetwynd is on par with Crockett Jones Connaught .. Connaught can be had easily for 480 EUR in Europe currently, which is around 405 pounds ..

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
Nah, Chetwynd is on par with Crockett Jones Connaught .. Connaught can be had easily for 480 EUR in Europe currently, which is around 405 pounds ..
That's not £750 for two pairs and he would have to pay import duties which would make the exchange rate null. I also don't think the connaught is an equivalent of the chetwynd (which is a brogue).

Last edited:

rakuskus

Reaction score
What do you guys think of Church's 168 LAST. Do any of you own it? Would love to see picture of your shoes.

EsakWWtUcAEIUwM.jpg

This is a picture that Church's post on twitter. At least for me it looks interestingly good because I never like square toe shoes before. Model name is FAIRSTEAD.

IMG_8719.jpg

A month later I manage to purchase a pair full brogue wingtip in the 168 LAST. Not the same model with the first picture but they are made from the same last. I like the fact they only have 5 eyelets, I prefer it rather than 6.

IMG_8716.jpg

Hope you guys can see the shape of the last. What do you guys think? are they too square and boxy?

IMG_8712.jpg

The leather is Bookbinder not polished binder, Church's says bookbinder fume has a rub off finish which is polished to give a depth of colour, showing highlights. (This is what they say when I email them asking about bookbinder fume leather)

IMG_8713.jpg

Model name is FARMCOTE, can't find any references of them on the web. Size is 100 F

IMG_8714.jpg

Leather sole. You can see that they are definitely post prada, not that it matters.

IMG_8704.jpg
IMG_8706.jpg
IMG_8718.jpg

Here they are next to my CHETWYND in 173 LAST size 100 G

The colour of the shoes actually change dramatically when expose to light. I know any object will look brighter in bright light, but this shoes change from reddish brown to yellowish brown. Does that make sense?

That's all folks. If you have shoes from church's 168 LAST and shoes with church's binder leather, please post them! I think it will be interesting to see how the shoes aged.

Last edited:

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
They're beautiful shoes. The last shape looks almost identical to the 173 except for a squarer toe - I imagine they're very comfortable . They look dark brown in most pics and then Walnut in the final pic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads