• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
You'll never sleep if you're worrying about someone being wrong on the internet :)

Church's is getting more strange over the years. The classic range remains outstanding. They also have an even higher range, I believe called Crown now, that is fantastic but expensive. There are also a lot of sneakers and casual shoes, which is good for some. Also some of their accessories are underrated. They make good ties.

Then there is the weird stuff. Lots of bookbinder finishes, metal studs, non-traditional soles...many fashion-forward looks that are a total miss, to me. It is disappointing that a lot of these items are finished to a lower standard. I get the appeal of multiple price points to attract multiple buyers, but I'm pretty confident now after observing this for 15 years or so that it is reducing the appeal of the brand to many.

I think Church's is also horrible with social media and marketing. If you could into one of their stores in central London, you'll walk out with that classic, English gentleman experience that many like. If you go to their instagram page, you'll think you are looking at a different company. I don't get it.
Couldn't agree more. I love Church's. I have 9 pairs. I hate their social media but it just isn't aimed at me. The Crockett and Jones and Trickers social media influence me more to buy shoes.
I can't find anything in any of my pairs to suggest quality is lacking. I'm a traditionalist and I like the classic shoes they produce but their advertising, especially on Instagram could well push people to buy Crockett and Jones, Trickers, even Cheaney....and of course complete plonkers like the ShoeSnob who don't know their arse from their elbow.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with all the recent comments.

I am particularly looking to replace my Ajax 03 slippers, but cannot find anything like them on the Church's website. Googling other possible outlets has not helped.

The slipper range is one of the classic things that has been hard hit in recent years, with a very limited choice today. Anyone know if the Ajax can still be found? Thanks.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I love Church's. I have 9 pairs. I hate their social media but it just isn't aimed at me. The Crockett and Jones and Trickers social media influence me more to buy shoes.
I can't find anything in any of my pairs to suggest quality is lacking. I'm a traditionalist and I like the classic shoes they produce but their advertising, especially on Instagram could well push people to buy Crockett and Jones, Trickers, even Cheaney....and of course complete plonkers like the ShoeSnob who don't know their arse from their elbow.

I read the Shoe Snob posts about the decline of Church's and sent him a comment about how nice and well made my Grafton and Consul where and he replied with very fair words about the Custom Grade range. As many readers, I dislike Church's social media and most of the new models, but the Custom Grade range is outstanding. For my taste the Consul and Grafton are the definitive oxford and wigtip derby.

I own 8 pairs of Church's and 2 pairs of J. Fitzpatrick. I can say that I can't find any flaw in the J. Fitzpatrick shoes I own, they are very well finished with very good materials. Is understandable that not every model will be for everybody's taste but I like mine.

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
I read the Shoe Snob posts about the decline of Church's and sent him a comment about how nice and well made my Grafton and Consul where and he replied with very fair words about the Custom Grade range. As many readers, I dislike Church's social media and most of the new models, but the Custom Grade range is outstanding. For my taste the Consul and Grafton are the definitive oxford and wigtip derby.

I own 8 pairs of Church's and 2 pairs of J. Fitzpatrick. I can say that I can't find any flaw in the J. Fitzpatrick shoes I own, they are very well finished with very good materials. Is understandable that not every model will be for everybody's taste but I like mine.
It's just how venomous he is with anyone who dares to say he is wrong. One commenter said how he has shoes from several Northampton brands and that he felt Church's were one of the best, I share that view. Justin Fitzpatrick replied with "that shows you know zero about shoes". I do wonder what has caused him to criticize Church's. I know he is totally wrong about quality of Church's shoes and I would say there are designs by Cheaney and Trickers that raise eyebrows just as much as anything by Church's not to mention some of his own stuff.

Bostonfellow

Reaction score
I agree with all the recent comments.

I am particularly looking to replace my Ajax 03 slippers, but cannot find anything like them on the Church's website. Googling other possible outlets has not helped.

The slipper range is one of the classic things that has been hard hit in recent years, with a very limited choice today. Anyone know if the Ajax can still be found? Thanks.
I remember the days, up until the late 1990s sale to Prada, when Church's had a separate catalogue of slippers! I do occasionally see Ajax on EBay unworn, though typically they are listed only as Church's and not with the style name. I wonder if you have looked at Shipton and Heneage leather Grecian slippers, which I have not tried but are made to order in the UK and appear quite similar to Ajax.

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
I remember the days, up until the late 1990s sale to Prada, when Church's had a separate catalogue of slippers! I do occasionally see Ajax on EBay unworn, though typically they are listed only as Church's and not with the style name. I wonder if you have looked at Shipton and Heneage leather Grecian slippers, which I have not tried but are made to order in the UK and appear quite similar to Ajax.
Shipton and Heneage are C&J.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have been wearing Church’s slippers since the 1980s but I didn’t know about that catalogue - sounds great! I have looked at other possible suppliers of Grecian slippers, but I am reluctant to buy a pair online. After the pandemic I plan to take myself to Jermyn St and have a good look at the options, although I doubt that there will be a great choice. Tricker’s used to do a collection but I have not seen any on their site lately...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the subject, here is my little collection of Church’s slippers. Only the Sovereign is still shown on the website, but no longer seems to be available in the wine velvet. The Ajax, bottom left, are the newest but have been worn the most, being very versatile. They are the ones I am keen to update.

CF29A645-6E40-44F6-9E12-69179953E97F.jpeg

hmlarsson

Reaction score
Wearing my Church's Sahara today.
20210115_121149-mr-jpg.1648631

I must say that I'm very impressed by the quality of the suede leather in my Church's shoes!
These chukkas is around 6-7 yo and almost look like new. Even more impressive is that the upper on my Church's Balmorals (to the left in the picture) is in pristine condition after 12 years. (To the right in the picture is my Legates in Calf leather. Not bad leather quality, but on the other hand nothing remarkable.)
Church's Balmoral vs. Legate-.jpg

Last edited:

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wearing my Church's Sahara today.
20210115_121149-mr-jpg.1648631

I must say that I'm very impressed by the quality of the suede leather in my Church's shoes!
These chukkas is around 6-7 yo and almost look like new. Even more impressive is that the upper on my Church's Balmorals (to the left in the picture) is in pristine condition after 12 years. (To the right in the picture is my Legates in Calf leather. Not bad leather quality, but on the other hand nothing remarkable.)
View attachment 1536253
I have picked up 3 pairs of Church's Suede Brogues in the last 5 years, and have been satisfied with the construction quality, and pleased with the quality, color, texture, and durability. My prior 3 pairs of Church's are Calf, from the 1980's, on the 73 last, so a high base/benchmark for comparision.

Reaction score
Can any of Churches experts help me decipher this label? I know it's not very clear, which makes the gibberish hand writing even harder to decipher, but it's what the seller sent me. There's a stamp on the sole that reads "B 100", if this helps. Thank you all.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 186

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Can any of Churches experts help me decipher this label? I know it's not very clear, which makes the gibberish hand writing even harder to decipher, but it's what the seller sent me. There's a stamp on the sole that reads "B 100", if this helps. Thank you all.

It’s too hard to read. 100 B is UK size 10, b width (narrow). The shoe is on Last 73, which has been phased out for at least a decade.

Reaction score
It’s too hard to read. 100 B is UK size 10, b width (narrow). The shoe is on Last 73, which has been phased out for at least a decade.
Thank you so much. This is more than enough information for me, given they are narrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads