• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I just bought a pair of custom grade "Bristol 2" loafers from a flash sale site, and am having some trouble identifying the last.

Inside the shoe is written:

G260467 1013 (the last number in that line could be a 5)
Bristol 2

and then "11" in the lower right corner.

Is there a formula for deciphering this code?

I really like the shoes, and paid around $300 for them shipped, which seems like a decent deal for a pair of calf custom grade brand new.

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
Ok, so I found on another forum that the top line of numbers - 100G106 - means 10G (size), 106 last.

Is anyone familiar with the 106 last?

marysdad

Reaction score
I have a pair of what I believe to be pre-Prada Church's and really like them. I also have a vintage pair of Cheaney's, which I also like. However, the Church's are probably the better shoe. I thrifted the Church's for $6 and they were almost new (looked to have only been worn once or twice). These pics were taken when I found them, so that's what they looked like when I brought them home.

The color is what I would refer to as oxblood. They are a burgundy, but more red than most burgundy or merlot color shoes.

churchs_2.jpg

churchs_1.jpg

dreamhope

Reaction score
Got a pair of loafers with tassels and penny bars. Seems to be holding very well, but the binder still looks plasticky.

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
I have a pair of what I believe to be pre-Prada Church's and really like them. I also have a vintage pair of Cheaney's, which I also like. However, the Church's are probably the better shoe. I thrifted the Church's for $6 and they were almost new (looked to have only been worn once or twice). These pics were taken when I found them, so that's what they looked like when I brought them home.

The color is what I would refer to as oxblood. They are a burgundy, but more red than most burgundy or merlot color shoes.

churchs_2.jpg

churchs_1.jpg

Wow, six bucks!? I feel quite screwed now for my Church's. Nice shoes!
colgate.gif

dreamhope

Reaction score

churchs_2.jpg

churchs_1.jpg

marysdad

Reaction score
Thrifted them from a Salvation Army Store in my own home town a couple of years ago. Just blown away that they were there, nearly new, and in my size. I'm a size 8D, so don' t find as many shoes as I would if I were a larger size. About a month ago, at the same store, I snagged a pair of what were essentially new black Bally captoes in my size. I think those went home for $15.

IndianaGeo

Reaction score
I just want to say that I've been in the market for shoes lately, doing my research and such. I don't understand the bashing that Church's gets on this forum generally. I've checked out a number of the high end shoes on Jermyn Street (and around Bank Tube station) and I'm liking what Church's has on offer. I particularly like the Chetwynd in Walnut Nevada calf. Does anyone on checking this thread on Church's have any experience with this model?

IG

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
I just want to say that I've been in the market for shoes lately, doing my research and such. I don't understand the bashing that Church's gets on this forum generally. I've checked out a number of the high end shoes on Jermyn Street (and around Bank Tube station) and I'm liking what Church's has on offer. I particularly like the Chetwynd in Walnut Nevada calf. Does anyone on checking this thread on Church's have any experience with this model?

IG

Take the background noise around here with a grain of salt. The two prevailing opinions seem to be that either your shoe needs to be hand made in Budapest out of albino turkey skins and hand finished by 14 virgins, or that Allen Edmonds builds a better shoe than most so stick with them because anything else mid-grade is piss.

I see the former as a diminishing returns poster child, and the latter as having too many QC issues nowadays to be a real contender.

So, in walks the high-middle end shoe, which is where most of mine fall. Church's is certainly part of this category, as is Ferragamo, Alden, Gucci (I'll get flamed for that one), Trickers, Testoni, and a host of others. They are far from cheap, look beautiful and wear well, but wont cost a kings ransom to obtain. To me, Church's and like are the best shoes around because of that balance.

IndianaGeo

Reaction score

Take the background noise around here with a grain of salt. The two prevailing opinions seem to be that either your shoe needs to be hand made in Budapest out of albino turkey skins and hand finished by 14 virgins, or that Allen Edmonds builds a better shoe than most so stick with them because anything else mid-grade is piss.

I see the former as a diminishing returns poster child, and the latter as having too many QC issues nowadays to be a real contender.

So, in walks the high-middle end shoe, which is where most of mine fall. Church's is certainly part of this category, as is Ferragamo, Alden, Gucci (I'll get flamed for that one), Trickers, Testoni, and a host of others. They are far from cheap, look beautiful and wear well, but wont cost a kings ransom to obtain. To me, Church's and like are the best shoes around because of that balance.

Thanks for your thoughts DrummingDude (i'm a guitar player by the way). Speaking of Ferragamo, I had a beat up pair that I thought were gone, but as as last ditch effort I took them to a shoe repair place near where I work and they did a magical job on them. I've had them over 12 years with heavy use and they've shined up with their repair work as if they're just a year or two old. I've also got two pairs of Church's (a Ryder III and their Darwin loafer) which I do like a lot. I could use a brogue like the Chetwynd though. Great opening to your post by the way.. I was laughing. Cheers...
IG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads