• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

rbny

Reaction score
I just took pics of mine as well showing the separation-it appears to be in the same area:

[ATTACHMENT=9340]photo1.JPG (162k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

DrNik

Reaction score
It looks like exactly the same problem, however I have had mine for about 18 months and only just noticed the defect. Strange that it has occurred in both shoes at exactly the same time and place. It must be a design fault

thelonius

Reaction score
I just took pics of mine as well showing the separation-it appears to be in the same area:

It looks like exactly the same problem, however I have had mine for about 18 months and only just noticed the defect. Strange that it has occurred in both shoes at exactly the same time and place. It must be a design fault

These shoes should be sent back to where they were bought, and insist on all charges for posting to be covered. It seems that the sole stitch is loose at this point. Quite unsatisfactory.

rbny

Reaction score
I just spoke to the Church's Shoes store in Manhattan where I bought it and they're arranging for UPS to pick it up on Monday (7/7). Hopefully, they'll send me a replacement soon and this defect in the sole construction has been corrected.

Thanks everyone.

Giannis

Reaction score
Do you think i have the same problem with the sole separation? Should I contact Herring shoes from whom I bought them? If i leave it as it is , will it become worse or fully separate?

One shoe has no signs for separation but the other is this.

Last edited:

rbny

Reaction score
How long have you had the boot? The other poster had his for 18 months; I had mine for a month before it started separating which is unacceptable. It seems that all our boots were showing the same signs of separation on the left foot. Personally, I would return it and have them correct the issue. I really like the style of these boots and the last fits me well. However, any shoe manufacturer, especially like Church's Shoes, should correct any defects with their boots/shoes. Makes me wonder it they've sub-contracted part of the manufacturing of their dainite soles prior to them being finally assembled at their newly-renovated, Prada-financed factory.

Giannis

Reaction score
How long have you had the boot? The other poster had his for 18 months; I had mine for a month before it started separating which is unacceptable. It seems that all our boots were showing the same signs of separation on the left foot. Personally, I would return it and have them correct the issue. I really like the style of these boots and the last fits me well. However, any shoe manufacturer, especially like Church's Shoes, should correct any defects with their boots/shoes. Makes me wonder it they've sub-contracted part of the manufacturing of their dainite soles prior to them being finally assembled at their newly-renovated, Prada-financed factory.
I have these boots for some months, if m not wrong I bought these in February, but as of hot weather I only managed to wear them for 5-7 times.

If it will stay this way I dont mind it, but I worry if it will separate completely with time.

I dont think this is something that it has to do anything with Prada as I have some prada sneakers for 8 to 10 years that I heavily wear ( gym, walking long distances, wear many days in a row) and still are pretty fine.

rbny

Reaction score

I dont think this is something that it has to do anything with Prada as I have some prada sneakers for 8 to 10 years that I heavily wear ( gym, walking long distances, wear many days in a row) and still are pretty fine. 

Your experience with Prada sneakers has nothing to do with Prada financing the operation of Church's Shoes. I would venture to guess that Prada did not physically make the dainite soles of the Church's Ryder Boots, however, there is/was an apparent failure in Quality Control somewhere during the making of these soles. Whoever Prada contracted or assigned to oversee the assembly of this particular dainite sole at the Church's Shoe factory or for them did not seem to do a good job. This is evidenced by our experience with the apparent separation of these soles in the almost exact location (left foot) of the boots. So yes, as the parent company I believe that Prada does have some culpability in management and Quality Assurance over Church's Shoes. Moreover, Prada 10 years ago is not Prada today.

Are Prada and Church's Shoes still viable apparel/footwear brands? Sure, but like many other manufacturers, they did seem to have sold a defective product. While we have a sample of three on this blog, I'm confident that we're not the only ones with this problem.

Giannis

Reaction score
I actually bought these in the middle of February looking at my emails .. Should I contact herring shoes or churchs directly ??

thelonius

Reaction score
I actually bought these in the middle of February looking at my emails .. Should I contact herring shoes or churchs directly ??

I do agree entirely with rbny. I think you should contact Herring, or just send them back with a covering letter. Maybe contacting them by email first to tell the shop you will be sending a defectuous pair back and will expect postage to be refunded would help assure that it is. But whatever the path, you should send them back. You paid enough for them.

DrNik

Reaction score
I am happy to report that my shoes have been returned from Church's via Herring and despite being repaired, (which I explicitly requested if possible, as they took some time to wear in) the finish on the welt is actually better than new. Complete turnaround was probably about 2-3 weeks, express shipping both ways was paid by Herring and Church's included new box and laces while a shoe horn was added by herring. While it certainly disappointing that this is a fault common to many that should prompt improved quality control, I could not have hoped for better service from both Herring and Church's. All concerned should follow my lead.

Giannis

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the difference between the 81 last (ryder iii) and the 103 last? Should I go for the same size?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Which Church shoes don't use corrected grain? The Tokio looks like it has pretty cheap leather.

Giannis

Reaction score
What's more than the normal churchs in the exclusive leather line besides the leather? They cost about 1000 to 1100 usd and are not closed channeled as it appears in other brands with exclusive lines available, like the c&j handgrade or in all trickers city models.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics