• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, found some consuls for $340. Is that a good price? Haven’t handled them before so can’t comment on quality of leather and last.
Just make sure the shoes fit and you can’t go wrong.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, found some consuls for $340. Is that a good price? Haven’t handled them before so can’t comment on quality of leather and last.

I’m guessing they’re in US? Black or brown?

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20190303_125523.jpg
20190303_125535.jpg
20190303_125412.jpg
20190303_125433.jpg

In 2011 Church's created their top line collection featuring the Burghley, which have been made with oak bark tanned soles with a traditional fiddleback waist.

Each pair is individually finger polished by skilled craftsmen and are presented in an exclusive leather tipped box which contains a high quality cleaning kit and carved wooden shoe trees which exactly match the size, last and fitting of the shoe.

Early attempt by Church's at what made Carlos Santos great. To be honest, I don't notice a big difference between these and my CS double monks quality wise. Except for the price tag where these Church's were approximately 3 times the price of CS.

Last edited:

lexmann

Reaction score
View attachment 1136855 View attachment 1136857 View attachment 1136858 View attachment 1136859
Early attempt by Church's at what made Carlos Santos great. To be honest, I don't notice a big difference between these and my CS double monks quality wise. Except for the price tag where these Church's were approximately 3 times the price of CS.
I have a different view though as I own quite a few pair of Church's. I tried a pair of CS but my feet told me right away they are of very different quality. Church's deserves a higher price point.

AWu

Reaction score
I trust some how you may want to have a longer term use before jumping to a conclusion.

To me Church's leather and comfort are leading CS by a considerable extent. While construction wise they are quite on par.

View attachment 1136855 View attachment 1136857 View attachment 1136858 View attachment 1136859

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also own 10+ pairs of both Church's and CS and still think it's not a huge step up from CS to Church's.

Anyways, parkstone today:

20190304_081548.jpg
20190304_081608.jpg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you buy them then?

Did you mean to ask why I bought the Church's shoes?

I bought them before I ever tried CS. Since then I have not bought any Church's. Although I still will buy Church's in case of a unique model, like their Sahara boots.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased my first pair of Church's shoes - a pair of black Grafton. Overall I'm really happy with the quality - I'd put them above Trickers and they are built like a tank. One query I have - and I'm sure its been discussed before - is regarding the Polished Binder: is this the same as Bookbinder? Is this a coated leather? How does it wear - does it scuff? Thanks.

Chowkin

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first pair of Church's shoes - a pair of black Grafton. Overall I'm really happy with the quality - I'd put them above Trickers and they are built like a tank. One query I have - and I'm sure its been discussed before - is regarding the Polished Binder: is this the same as Bookbinder? Is this a coated leather? How does it wear - does it scuff? Thanks.

I believe they are the same, with Bookbinder used pre-Prada acquisition.

It is indeed a coated leather so very easy to maintain - just wipe with a damp piece of cloth. Sadly scuffs cannot be covered up by cream or wax.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody hear of the Temple double monk? Is it from the office collection?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads