• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

tobinbridge

Reaction score
+1 same degradation. AE to Sesto Meucci (RL polo Italy) to EG

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this counts, but I have a pair of churchs slippers. I believe they are the Hermes model and they are the best slippers ive owned.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought these last week - I chose over standard white or"dirty" bucks with the red brick sole as I liked the edgy/JunyaWatanabe look.

Recently changed the laces over to green - BIG difference, now they don't look like naval officer dress or nurse shoes.

First outing so need to be scuffed etc.
L1090640W.jpg

L1090649W.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ I really like those PG. I saw them in baby blue and navy blue and kinda wish I got the navy ones.

I like my grey loafers so much I got the same model in the red/burgundy as it's been keeping me up at nites. Easily the best fitting and most comfortable loafers (or maybe any shoe for that matter) that I've worn.

churchloafer.jpg

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I have a pair of churchs slippers.

+1 I like them. I've got the velvet sort and I think they're entirely servicable for the price.

Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Bought these last week - I chose over standard white or"dirty" bucks with the red brick sole as I liked the edgy/JunyaWatanabe look.

Recently changed the laces over to green - BIG difference, now they don't look like naval officer dress or nurse shoes.

I noticed that pic with the green laces on WAYWT - that is a brilliant look!
bounce2.gif
What's the name of the model?

Leather man

Reaction score
I am well known on Ask Andy ( shhh!) for defending Church's. To contextualise - I own 5 pairs of C&J s , 9 pairs of Gaziano and Girling and 38 pairs of Edward Greens. However I own more pairs of Church's shoes. I love them. I like them better than C&J for fit and their quality is easily on a par. Their colours ranges are far superior to like-priced competitors. They are by far the easiest company to deal with ( EG being on a par) - helpful, good price on recrafting ( much cheaper than C&J) don't demand everything returned through the shop y ou bought them from - difficult if you've bought from four different shops!

I also own three pairs of pre-Prada Church's. The quality has got better under Prada - yes you read me right! Less use of linen linings, less use of artificially finished leathers ( loads and loads of pre Prada Churches were "Appaloosa" calf - has an artificial layer on -less shiny that Bookbinder ( a pre Prada term now Polished Binder) Calf Leather quality is better, ranges are better, more last choices available.etc etc etc

Church's shoes are very wearable, and very comfortable

Most of the criticisms of the post Prada Church's are unfounded and are the product of forum think.

Prada ( no I don't like their own products either) have just spent £3million retooling the Northampton Factory - quite a committment. A retired Church's manager told me that "The Church Family" would never have released the cash necessary to retool the factory which he says was badly in need of it.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 3 pairs of Church's (soon to be 4) and have no complaints about them whatsoever.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leather man
Less use of linen linings,

linen linings are a very traditional method. nothing wrong about it.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked these up last year, an end-of-season sale at Nordstrom. I believe they are more-or-less the same as PG's, but in the sand color. I wore them for the first time while at Myrlte Beach last week and love 'em.

20080810-1.jpg

Leather man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
linen linings are a very traditional method. nothing wrong about it.

I know this and agree but it is what post Prada Church's are often critised for on Style Forum. My point - ( I made it in a hurry) was that Church's used linen linings more often before Prada - so as a criticism it doesn't stack up.

Rossini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leather man
I am well known on Ask Andy ( shhh!) for defending Church's. To contextualise - I own 5 pairs of C&J s , 9 pairs of Gaziano and Girling and 38 pairs of Edward Greens. However I own more pairs of Church's shoes. I love them. I like them better than C&J for fit and their quality is easily on a par. Their colours ranges are far superior to like-priced competitors. They are by far the easiest company to deal with ( EG being on a par) - helpful, good price on recrafting ( much cheaper than C&J) don't demand everything returned through the shop y ou bought them from - difficult if you've bought from four different shops!

I also own three pairs of pre-Prada Church's. The quality has got better under Prada - yes you read me right! Less use of linen linings, less use of artificially finished leathers ( loads and loads of pre Prada Churches were "Appaloosa" calf - has an artificial layer on -less shiny that Bookbinder ( a pre Prada term now Polished Binder) Calf Leather quality is better, ranges are better, more last choices available.etc etc etc

Church's shoes are very wearable, and very comfortable

Most of the criticisms of the post Prada Church's are unfounded and are the product of forum think.

Prada ( no I don't like their own products either) have just spent £3million retooling the Northampton Factory - quite a committment. A retired Church's manager told me that "The Church Family" would never have released the cash necessary to retool the factory which he says was badly in need of it.

LM, I have made similar points in the past, and recently, on various fora (though with a bit less insight). I could not agree more with your perspective. I must also say that 'forum think' is also responsible for an over-hyping of C&J Handgrades. I do like them and they are excellent but I think people overlook the limitations of a single last (the 337) which is lovely but peculiarly shaped and so does not fit well on every person. I get the feeling that - two years down the line - there may be an inordinate number of C&J handgrades being worn with inappropriate creasing and buckling due to ill fit. By comparison, Church's Royals are not subject to the same buzz/forum hysteria and people are missing out on what, in my view, is probably a better shoe with the potential for a more universal fit.

kaizo

Reaction score
So... Does anyone have pics of pre and post Prada church's? I'm thinking of buying a pair of consul for Christmas but I'm on the fence of getting c and j benchgrade toe cap oxford or that.

Gbg brouge

Reaction score
So... Does anyone have pics of pre and post Prada church's? I'm thinking of buying a pair of consul for Christmas but I'm on the fence of getting c and j benchgrade toe cap oxford or that.

Personally I think you'd do much better with a pair of Consuls. Better value for money and a shoe that will age very nicely as long as you go with the calf and not the polished binder. C&J are very nice but a bit overrated IMO.

Just unpacked these today...pure satisfaction and my weekend was made
smile.gif

By the way, is this forum dead or has everyone lost fath in Churh's? Come on!

Last edited:

kaizo

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply yeah I am surprised too I thought church's were a benchmark of good shoes. (At least that's what my dad said).

I probably will go for the consul in that case :)

Nice shoes you got there!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics