Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Chukkas Paired With Shorts?¿

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Muotimies, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Muotimies

Muotimies Active Member

I'm sure a ton of traditionalists will hate me for even proposing the option of shorts but I spend a lot of time in Texas and Madrid where I'm sure you already know, temperatures easily can be +40º if not hotter in the summer (plus I'm younger so perhaps I am entitled to a bit of slack). Nonetheless though, if I could wear chukkas with shorts it'd be fantastic because with mild winters an occasion could be found to wear them almost year-round. I have a pair of dress boots for colder times but I quite enjoy the styling of chukkas. They are pretty low cut which is the only reason I would ever consider wearing this "boot" with shorts.

I can't seem to make the call myself nor can I seem to find a lot of supporting evidence for my case via Google. Most pictures are some awful compilation of some awkward chukkas paired with those plagued cargo shorts. So, what would your opinions be on this subject? Is it acceptable or are chukkas more suited to be paired with the cuff of pants?¿ Inseam seems to always be an issue when pairing shoes with shorts so if anyone cares to know, most shorts I own have an 18cm inseam.

2. comrade

comrade Senior member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

3. Muotimies

Muotimies Active Member

Also, I have never worn or tried on Chukka boots. How do they fit? Are they meant to be worn with a boot sock? I know at least with all of the dress boots I have tried on or own, I have had to by a whole US size smaller. I don't like the concept of shoes being purposely size larger to accommodate a thicker sock nor do I like think socks.

4. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

I would stick to unlined suede chukkas for shorts to go with the casual vibe of shorts.

5. Muotimies

Muotimies Active Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

6. comrade

comrade Senior member

7. Muotimies

Muotimies Active Member

8. Muotimies

Muotimies Active Member

9. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

I believe the Peal & Co BB chukkas are 50% off at gilt.com right now

10. d4g6k11

d4g6k11 Active Member

It's an old thread but I thought I'd dig it up. I'm a teacher and work in a room sans air-conditioning. With 30 bodies in a confined space temperatures in summer get pretty high very quickly. But, if I wear shorts I need a more formal look than sneakers can provide. Are chukkas the only option if I wear shorts but don't want sneakers (or loafers or boat shoes)?

11. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

If you don't want to wear loafers, tennis shoes, or boat shoes, you might look at some white or dirty bucks.

12. d4g6k11

d4g6k11 Active Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016

13. Astaroth

Astaroth Senior member

As an Englishman "bucks" wtould be an abbreviation of nubuck, a type of leather that's similar in appearance to suede but made in a different way. Americans on the other hand call a blucher made from suede a buck. As usual it's two nations divided by a common language.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017