• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chukka boots to wear for work

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
I'd welcome your thoughts on the following three options for some Chukkas. I'm hoping to wear them for work (business casual-> tan/navy wool slacks or khakis) and would love to get some weekend wear out of them too. I'm not sure if suede should be avoided for work, or if one color of suede would be better than another. Here are the three options I've identified.

To Boot New York - These would cost $115
toboot.png

Allen Edmonds Calhoun Suede - $102
aesuede.jpg

AE Calhoun Leather - $144
aeleather.jpg

Additionally, I'm not sure how much longer I'll have access to these prices so your expediency would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would avoid suede. I'd also avoid the AE collection by Allen Edmonds. The classic collection is nice, but the AEs are not.

Save your pennies and buy Alden's Cordovan.

1339.jpg

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I would avoid suede. I'd also avoid the AE collection by Allen Edmonds. The classic collection is nice, but the AEs are not.

Save your pennies and buy Alden's Cordovan.

1339.jpg

I appreciate your message. The Alden Cordovan's are on my radar, but as I am just starting working, I don't have the flexibility to drop that kind of change at the moment. Also, this is my first experience with Chukkas and I want to make sure I'm digging them before I drop 650 on a slick pair.

Why do you advise avoiding the suede?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think suede is too casual for work, even in "business casual" environments. I don't think there's a "rule" on this though, so it's just my personal opinion.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with suede. I prefer the To Boot New York f those three.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
There will definitely be no sneakers here. I get the feeling that standard attire would be wool slacks with a button down and probably penny loafers. People will wear khakis as well but there won't be many khakis+polos/golf shirts. Does that narrow anything down as far as suitability of suede in the workplace?

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Id be weary of To boot, I bought a pair of dress shoes from that came completely unglued after 25~ wears. For the price they seem to be rather poor quality.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
I'm considering a pair of Chukkas as well. I can't decide leather or suede, because it while it's easy to pick a belt to go with the leather shoes, can you even buy a suede belt?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suede, it's in no way too casual for most workplaces these days.

If its a concern, wear it on 'casual friday' where most people probably show up in a sweatsuit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

If its a concern, wear it on 'casual friday' where most people probably show up in a sweatsuit.

+1. I think suede would be fine.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede is usually pretty casual, but a chukka is pretty casual to start with so I don't think in this case suede will really make it any more casual than it already is.

Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
can you even buy a suede belt?

Yes.

Neo1824

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

I agree. I wear suede to work all the time.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I would avoid suede. I'd also avoid the AE collection by Allen Edmonds. The classic collection is nice, but the AEs are not. Save your pennies and buy Alden's Cordovan.
1339.jpg

I bought a pair of AE Calhouns on sale and they are perfectly fine. In fact, I wear them all the time due to the fact that I picked them up so cheap. I live in the city, so I walk A LOT, and Boston's brick and cobblestone is not exactly good for shoes. Long story short, Calhoun's are a perfectly fine shoe. I know this because I've put mine through hell and they are in great shape. I'm sure you're speaking from experience on this. The Aldens are what, 600.00 plus? It's like the op was asking advice on what cars to buy; posting pictures of camerys, accords and the ford taures...and you tell him all those cars are junk and tell him to buy a 100,000 S500. The op might not even fancy chukkas next season and you're telling him to buy 600.00 boots when he's ob shopping for lower priced models. Op: I own the AE chukkas, and while they are not as good as AE's classic line, they will be fine for you and they are well worth 140 bucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads