• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chucks vs GTs vs Desert Boots vs Sperrys

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
It all depends on situations and what else you're wearing.

On another note, yet another worthless Tycoon thread. You're like the merkur of SW&D.

Obviously captain amazing. stfui
plain.gif

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
There are tons of shoes I'd like to have.

my next few shoe purchases are going to be these in this order

black purcells
tan desert boots (hopefully from target for like 12$ or something crazy like that)
black wingtips bass weejuns/penny loafers (hopefully I can copp at thriftworld)
3-4 pair of super cheap beater plimsols

Chucks are my go to shoe though. They have just enough rubber on the bottom to keep your feet dry in the snow and are perfect for summer too.

robbie

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i kinda like toms shoes ... its a good cause and they are easy to throw in a bag or carry around. not the most comfortable for extended use but they are decent! and they look pretty right

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dislike the vans authentics. I would pick Puma Benny any day over vans authentics if I had to go for one without the whole toe cap.

I am still sticking to converse though. My lo's are well broken in, torn everywhere and are my most comfortable shoes. They transit well from street to gym and I squat and deadlift in them at gyms that don't allow me to go barefoot.

As for the GTs, I sold them in favor of Dr Martens. They are just not your everyday boots. While tough and no doubt durable, they are clunky, heavy and just don't seem to go well with slim fitting pants/ jeans. They make great work boots once broken in.

To be quite honest, if I had to follow all the "trends" and recommendations on SF, I don't think I will truly be happy with myself.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on my sixth beer and while I have discerned it is clearly a boot and I figured out all the other acronyms in the thread, I have no idea wtf a GT is.

I am sure I am going to facepalm once I find out but please fill me in...

kit99bar

Reaction score
I wish a gentleman would please tell us what the definition of GT. I've searched and red many webpages on my traveler across the internet but would not find the answer. I will wing a song of praises for you. sorry about my english.

confused.gif

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
4144tjU8mLL._AA280_.jpg

Red Wings. duh. got it.

and no. IR if we are going that route. yay acronyms!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I wear Sperry's throughout the Summer. They're a true classic - even if they're having a "moment" right now. Ever since I went to Catholic school on Long Island, they've been a standard in my closet.

Desert boots are awesome. I'd be a liar if I said that I found them comfortable, but I still wear them. I've got three pairs. Perfect with jeans.

Never had a pair of GT's. A bit too bulky for my taste. I much prefer my Indy Boots and Trickers. But I've seen guys pull them off really well. And that cherry oxblood color is amazing.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*groans at thread that contributes to the notion of a styleforum uniform*

awxg

Reaction score
Alden Indy beats all of these.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
do you have true white or that off white? i feel like getting true white is like having nurse shoes or something. and then again i dont want to get them all dirty at once either haha

Yeah, I don't like the true white ones until they get broken in. They start turning into this cool grayish color and then they are perfect.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
There are tons of shoes I'd like to have.

my next few shoe purchases are going to be these in this order

black purcells
tan desert boots (hopefully from target for like 12$ or something crazy like that)
black wingtips bass weejuns/penny loafers (hopefully I can copp at thriftworld)
3-4 pair of super cheap beater plimsols

Chucks are my go to shoe though. They have just enough rubber on the bottom to keep your feet dry in the snow and are perfect for summer too.

robbie

My Target tan DBs were something like $39.99. Nowhere as nice as Clarks but they're not bad.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is somewhat o/t, as they aren't mentioned in the title, but they have come up. I can remain silent no longer:

Jacks are wack. They look ******* terrible. I can't be the only one who thinks this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads