• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chucking your Chucks

ArtOrSartor

Reaction score
I suspect that at least a few of you gents are longer in the tooth and have been through a few pairs more Converses than me. Maybe it's just me, but when people start telling me that it's time to get rid of a 'ratty' old article of clothing, I have a hard time seeing anything but a favored, worn-in piece of my wardrobe. In particular, I get nagged about my All-Stars. They're falling apart, they've got holes in them, the color is changing, etcetera. I was always under the impression that this was the point, that each pair would disintegrate uniquely to the wear and wearer.

At what point do you decide they have to go?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Chucks are for the gym and trips to the laundromat

Ike

Reaction score
Meh, when I got out of college I stopped wearing them on a regular basis. If anything, I have a pair of Jack Purcell's that are my go-to "dad shoes" when I need something casual. (And I'm 26 and far from being a dad, but they're still dad shoes.)

Converses will always have a modicum of cool for certain situations. I guess I'd probably break out my All Stars... for a baseball game?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped wearing one pair when the soles stopped adhering to the sides and just sort of flapped around. Then I stopped wearing another when they developed a series of tears along the side so that you could see my socks through them. Does that help?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never get tired of seeing optical white hi's properly broken in, but it's difficult to get them to that state because they usually just disintegrate first. Other than that they usually just look cheap and ugly, specially the lows.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i wore the hell outta mine. Last time they were on my feet me and some buddies were left at a bar by some girls who were upset and embarrassed at our drunken behavior and we had to walk a few miles back ot my car at 4 am. they were shot before the walk....after...the top was coming apart from the sole on the heel. I cant seem to throw them out,...never will. they were on my feet for some of the best/wildest/dont repeat this nights of my life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads