• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chuck Taylors: White or off-white?

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the optical white ones better. but they will get dirty as hell... quick!

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDC
The off-white ones will go with more. Stark white is a difficult 'color' to work with. Stark white also looks worse when it gets scuffed and whatnot. The off-white will handle stains and spots better; the marks wont jump out as much.
Optical White for me. I actually PREFER my optical white chucks to be a bit grimed up. IMHO they look way better when scuffed up a bit than brand spaking new.

selbsttatig

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair in natural white. They're not nearly as yellowish as a few pictures I just looked at online.

They look great now that I've got them beat up a bit.

danilo

Reaction score
I just won a bid on a pair of John Varvatos natural white slip ons... can't wait till they get here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mine were optical white but not anymore due to the dirt. I like them much better when they get dirty.

I bought dark brown for winter but can't make myself wear them. Seems wrong for them not to be white or black.

Mrs. Savage

Reaction score
personally I think that the off white is the better way to go. IMO it will go with more things and not look so "new" like the bright white ones. I think the bright white would be better as a spring/summer shoe.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As many have said the white ones get really dirty and look better that way, but I still think I am one of the only people on here who opts for both.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear both, but at least when they're new I think that the Optical White ones are the footwear equivalent of a startlingly over-whitened smile.

Becky Rosaly

Reaction score
Go with the "white" ones if hes a fan of dr who, because then he can say he has the exact same shoes as the 10th doctor has. optical white if he like a more brighter colored shoe.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go with the "white" ones if hes a fan of dr who, because then he can say he has the exact same shoes as the 10th doctor has. optical white if he like a more brighter colored shoe.

Doubletap. One in the head.

eowynroh

Reaction score
go with the unbleached standard white ones. Optical white is a little too metro or poser skater.
Thank you! I was wondering the same, because my toddler requested white. But when I went shopping, there was only the stark white to choose from. With the growth spurt that happened over night, I didn't have as much time to wait for more options.

So, I will remove the laces and make a bath of black tea to dye them in to get the same unbleached look that I wanted. I need to antique some papers from a book as well, so this works out well.

BB11

Reaction score

So, my little brother wants a new pair of Chuck Taylor's for Christmas. I ask him which colour and he says "white." I go to a Foot Locker, or whatever, and they have two pairs in two shades of "white." One is bright white, like a sheet of paper; the other, off-white.

Which is cooler? I personally preferred the bright white.

My old account must have been deactivated, but to answer. Unbleached if you want to do it right (off white). Optical white, to me is an abomination and U.S. A new color. Cons need to be unbleached white or black if you are going for the cool factor. I have been wearing cons for over 50 years so my rules may not fit your needs. Black high tops with red laces are also acceptable. Sorry, I am a snob about cons, still have one made in USA pair in the closet boxed and two other. Like a fool I sold 3 pair on eBay years ago.

huckfin

Reaction score
Mine started out white and are now somewhere between a beige, yellow, and brown. Hard to clean. Might try off-white for my next pair.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads