• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chuck Taylor repair

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of chuck taylors last year and on one of them the inside heel fabric has ripped off so there is nothing but rubber/plastic there now. It's a little uncomforable rubbing against the back of my heel. Is this common with chuck taylors? Any ideas for repair? Thanks.
Grad.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hasn't happened to me yet. did you get them soaked or something?

I doubt it would be worth repairing. Just get a new pair?

Hawkeye

Reaction score
DUCT-TAPE-3M.jpg

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
hasn't happened to me yet. did you get them soaked or something?

I doubt it would be worth repairing. Just get a new pair?

Didn't soak them, they look brand new, I've probably worn them less then 20 times in the past year.

Duck tape might be uncomfortable. I was thinking maybe athletic tape (the kind you use to tape up injuries).

I might give this a try:
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Gel-Heel-...f-4-40044.aspx
or this:
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Peda-Bell...f-4-40104.aspx

I just don't want to add alot of thickness too it, as they already fit well.

ThinkandDrive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bargecharge
Moleskin:

http://www.drugsdepot.com/viewitem.p...IVE_PROTECTION

You can get it at any drug store. You're supposed to put in on your feet, but I've used it for in-shoe padding with good results.

Seconded. This works great and adheres pretty well. One thing you'll want to watch for is that the edges tend to roll a bit and expose the adhesive. But it's easy enough to pull the tatty old patch off and stick a new one down.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I got a pair of chuck taylors last year and on one of them the inside heel fabric has ripped off so there is nothing but rubber/plastic there now. It's a little uncomforable rubbing against the back of my heel. Is this common with chuck taylors? Any ideas for repair? Thanks. Grad.
I have this problem with almost every shoe, Chucks and others, that have any kind of inner lining. I consider it normal wear and tear, and it can even be part of the breaking-in process that makes a shoe more comfortable. In any case, it seems unavoidable for me, and usually just wearing good-quality socks is enough to keep it from being bothersome. If the wear becomes extensive, I use the moleskin solution mentioned above or in some cases, as with Chucks, just buy new.

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
that happens to all the JPs and chucks that i own. i consider it very normal as well, but by the time this gets to the rubber only, the shoes are usually in tatters. if there's barely anything left, it's time to buy a new one.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Remove the plastic and put a couple band-aids in its place, or wear thicker socks.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Those are just getting nicely broken in! Mine have no rubber left in the heel at all and have a nice hole starting to wear through at the back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads