• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chuck Taylor or Jack Purcell?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't decide which one to buy. I plan on wearing them with jeans, lightweight chino-type trouser, shorts or some slim fit suits that can function as separates.

I was leaning towards these canvas Varvatos Purcells:
1U993_220.jpg

or these suede (think I'd rather have canvas) limited edition Purcells:
1K721_220.jpg

or getting some custom chucks made off the converse site.

prozach1576

Reaction score
I like those canvas ones...I've been thinking about getting some light colored Purcells for spring/summer.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the stripes, so the canvase for me. If you can find them w/o stripes, then the suede wins out.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vans Era?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, it looks as if you can design your own Purcells on the converse site, at first try it seemed you could only do it with the chucks. I think I'll try a customized pair. edit: I just ordered a pair of these. We'll see how they turn out:
Picture5.jpg

Tiranis

Reaction score
Between the two: suede, but I have the top ones and they're great too... so... both.
wink.gif

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I like Purcells over Chucks and I like the styling of the suede you pictured over the canvas but I would probably prefer the canvas in person. There, that doesn't help at all does it?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anything, I'd want a cream color. I will probably pick up a pair of chucks in cream.

ts4them

Reaction score
I think the ones you designed aren't bad actually (although I wouldn't wear them myself). I've been tinkering with them for a couple of days but not sure how many details I'll change. I think I'll end up with a pair of white purcells with a navy smile and a navy heel stripe, seems ideal for summer to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics