• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chronic hamstring pulls

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever I jog these days, which I do regularly, I'm always right on the verge of pulling a hamstring. I've had several bad pulls in the past, usually resulting from sudden activity without warm-ups or stretching. (I don't do that anymore.) I haven't pulled a hamstring in a long time, but for about a month now the back of both of my thighs tighten up like springs whenever I run, and I'm sure that one wrong step will have me limping for home.

Question: What KIND of a doctor should I see about this? Orthopedist? Rheumatologist? Neurologist? Other?

Also, what might cause a condition like this? I always warm-up and stretch before exercising, and I eat very healthfully and stay well-hydrated. Does this sound like a vitamin deficiency?

Background: I'm 51 and work out 3x/week, lifting weights and jogging. I often do intervals in place of jogging, but instead of exploding into my sprints, I ramp up gradually to reduce the chances of another strained hammy.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not specific to your hammy but if you haven't had full bloodwork done lately, it's a good idea. Look over your potassium etc.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Not specific to your hammy but if you haven't had full bloodwork done lately, it's a good idea. Look over your potassium etc.
Good idea, CG. I do that every summer, but maybe I should push my schedule ahead this year.

pronov

Reaction score
Do more deadlifts/rdl and goodmornings. Work on your posterior chain. Stretch a lot more.

NJbeefcake

Reaction score
Do you run often or are you just getting back into it?

Id spend a little more time stretching and try using a heating pad before running to help loosen up the muscles...

chet31

Reaction score
One cause of pulled hamstrings (among others) is simply, weak hamstrings. Do leg curls 1-2 times per week. Before running, do standing unweight leg curls, then stretch. It at least gets the hammies a bit warm. I play soccer, used to have issues, and this works for me.

Becks23

Reaction score
Also try getting a shoulder massage or myofascial release around your traps.

We all sit more than we should and it has a direct effect on your hammies. Even a simple test of using your fingers to dig in will create a more flexible stretch when touching your toes.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pronov
Do more deadlifts/rdl and goodmornings.
Already a regular part of my workouts.

Originally Posted by NJbeefcake
Do you run often or are you just getting back into it?
I've been running for years. The intervals are rather new, though, but I was having hamstring issues before I took up intervals.

Thank you for all the suggestions, gentlemen. Guess I'll get ****** to the doctor for some bloodwork and will do a lot more stretching/warming up in the meantime.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Invest in a foam roller man. Work it over your legs until it doesn't hurt anymore. It will probably take a couple months. It could be a muscular imbalance.

Reaction score
Pilates

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads