Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Chronic hamstring pulls

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Threadbearer, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Distinguished Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Whenever I jog these days, which I do regularly, I'm always right on the verge of pulling a hamstring. I've had several bad pulls in the past, usually resulting from sudden activity without warm-ups or stretching. (I don't do that anymore.) I haven't pulled a hamstring in a long time, but for about a month now the back of both of my thighs tighten up like springs whenever I run, and I'm sure that one wrong step will have me limping for home.

Question: What KIND of a doctor should I see about this? Orthopedist? Rheumatologist? Neurologist? Other?

Also, what might cause a condition like this? I always warm-up and stretch before exercising, and I eat very healthfully and stay well-hydrated. Does this sound like a vitamin deficiency?

Background: I'm 51 and work out 3x/week, lifting weights and jogging. I often do intervals in place of jogging, but instead of exploding into my sprints, I ramp up gradually to reduce the chances of another strained hammy.

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Distinguished Member

Not specific to your hammy but if you haven't had full bloodwork done lately, it's a good idea. Look over your potassium etc.

3. Threadbearer

Not specific to your hammy but if you haven't had full bloodwork done lately, it's a good idea. Look over your potassium etc.
    Good idea, CG. I do that every summer, but maybe I should push my schedule ahead this year.

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

Likely you are compensating for another diffciency and that's causing you to hurt your hammy. See a doc and get a prescription to see a physical therapist.

5. pronov

pronov Active Member

Do more deadlifts/rdl and goodmornings. Work on your posterior chain. Stretch a lot more.

6. NJbeefcake

NJbeefcake Member

Do you run often or are you just getting back into it?

Id spend a little more time stretching and try using a heating pad before running to help loosen up the muscles...

7. chet31

chet31 Senior Member

One cause of pulled hamstrings (among others) is simply, weak hamstrings. Do leg curls 1-2 times per week. Before running, do standing unweight leg curls, then stretch. It at least gets the hammies a bit warm. I play soccer, used to have issues, and this works for me.

8. Becks23

Becks23 Senior Member

Also try getting a shoulder massage or myofascial release around your traps.

We all sit more than we should and it has a direct effect on your hammies. Even a simple test of using your fingers to dig in will create a more flexible stretch when touching your toes.

9. Threadbearer

Do more deadlifts/rdl and goodmornings.
    Already a regular part of my workouts.

Do you run often or are you just getting back into it?
    I've been running for years. The intervals are rather new, though, but I was having hamstring issues before I took up intervals.

Thank you for all the suggestions, gentlemen. Guess I'll get my ass to the doctor for some bloodwork and will do a lot more stretching/warming up in the meantime.

10. Timbaland

Timbaland Distinguished Member

Invest in a foam roller man. Work it over your legs until it doesn't hurt anymore. It will probably take a couple months. It could be a muscular imbalance.

11. 89826

89826 Senior Member