• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christys' Hats--Any Opinions?

pejsek

Reaction score
After an unreasonably early encounter with a minor form of skin cancer, I've become an inveterate wearer of hats. Over time--and perhaps because I live in less-formal San Francisco and don't work a job at an office--I've come to favor wool and wool tweed trilbys (the major exception being the loden green fur felt hats Habig once made for Brooks Brothers). I have a couple of the Lock wool hats which I like well enough. My recent favorite has been a dramatic wide-brim forest green/brown/cream large check trilby made decades ago by the mysterious J.S. Wilson, London for Robert Kirk. (I made the mistake of wearing this hat to England last summer, prompting the passport officer to ask if I'd come for a spot of pheasant hunting.) Yesterday I received my first Christys' hat in the mail. It's a vintage Donegal tweed trilby with a very nice orange feather. My impression is that Christys' made a very fine hat. In comparison with the Lock and Wilson hats, the Christys' tweed is perhaps a little softer and the sewing on the brim may be a little finer. It's a really beautiful hat and it got me to wondering where Christys' stood among the English hatmakers. Below Herbert Johnson, I'm sure, but still.... Any Christys' hat wearers out there?

Reaction score
I have a brown wool felt trilby, and am expecting to acquire a fur felt one at some point. I believe Christy's hat are extremely well made, given the price; they look good, fit well and keep the rain off.

They may have stopped being produced, however. Certainly Christy's hasn't got an internet presence and I've seen articles suggesting that the hatter may have gone into liquidation. At the moment there are a lot of their hats still available but they may not be around for ever.

Ed13

Reaction score
I don't know where Christy's ranks but I do have a panama which I really like.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a hat expert but my Christie's bowler is one of the nicest I've ever beheld.

pejsek

Reaction score
I've long wondered if really fine braid didn't meet its end with the Hapsburgs.

MrSmith2U

Reaction score
Gentlemen Hatwearers

I do believe my Christys' trilby was acquired from Simpsons of Piccadilly in the early 1970s. Or it could quite possibly have been from Fayad's place. Whichever, it is indeed a fine article and has seen me through many a tempest. Worn at the correct angle, I could spend three times as much today and not feel as good as I do under its perky prominence.

Smith.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads