• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Party Attire (suit)

jorkee

Reaction score
Hey all, I suppose now is a good time to stop lurking and start posting!

I've got a work christmas party coming up in a few days, and I'm looking for some solid advice to look my best. It's my first function with my new company, and I'm hoping to impress. The party is a multi-company function, probably close to 250 people, and it's in a very nice hotel in Jasper Alberta. I'm looking to wear a suit, and I'm positive I won't be the only one. I'd like to touch on a christmas theme with my look, but I'm not opposed to abandoning it if it means looking my best.

I've got a recently purchased/tailored black suit that I'm looking to put some mileage on, fresh black shoes, a decent selection of basic colored dress shirts, and a solid (to me) selection of ties. I'm a pretty goofy guy at work, and I'm confident I can pull off a "louder" look without it looking awkward. I think my coworkers will probably expect something a bit less conservative of me. All the outfits below will be with black suit pants and dress shoes. My thoughts so far:

- Black jacket
- White shirt
- Green tie
- Red pocket square

The tie and pocket square could (?) be interchangable in this ensemble, since I think the overall look is the same. Class with the suit, christmas spirit with the tie/square combo that will stand out.

- Black jacket
- White shirt
- Red and green pocket squares folded together

Same look, sans tie. A bit more casual, but I worry about combining pocket squares as it's something I've never attempted.

- Black jacket
- White shirt
- Black tie
- Red and green pocket squares folded together

I feel like this one could be more formal than the above look with the tie, but I worry that a tie and 2 pocket squares is too much

- WHITE jacket
- White shirt/ black shirt?
- ? tie and pocket squares
-? Lavender bow tie?

I own a white jacket, but I don't know what to do with it. I just bought it, and I'm itching to try it out with a casual, fun look, while still dressing to impress.

I'm admittedly fairly new at this. I'm trying to look classy and somewhat formal, but also keep with the christmas theme. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jorkee

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! Being a brand new member I was worried that this was going to go entirely ignored haha.

#3 seems like a safe choice, my only worry is looking like a member of the hired help if I end up removing my jacket for a while, but I suppose if that's the worst that happens then so be it.

Keep the help coming guys! The party is on Saturday!

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are not going to find much love for a black jacket on this forum. Black will also blend in with the sea of navy blazers which you're sure to encounter. Do you have a grey herringbone?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black pants, black shoes, grey herringbone blazer, white shirt, dark green tie, red socks.

done

and this way you won't look like a clown.

jorkee

Reaction score
You are not going to find much love for a black jacket on this forum. Black will also blend in with the sea of navy blazers which you're sure to encounter. Do you have a grey herringbone?

What's the reasoning behind the dislike for the black jacket? I do own a grey blazer, but I'll have to double check the specifics as it's been a while since I've thrown it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer

black pants, black shoes, grey herringbone blazer, white shirt, dark green tie, red socks.

done

and this way you won't look like a clown.

I'm assuming the clown reference is in regard to the red/green combo? I'm trying to keep somewhat to the theme, but I'm aware that mixing colors can work pretty badly if not done properly. I've always been a fan of a clean look with colors as highlights rather than the main focus, which is why i'm trying not to go overboard.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm assuming the clown reference is in regard to the red/green combo? I'm trying to keep somewhat to the theme, but I'm aware that mixing colors can work pretty badly if not done properly. I've always been a fan of a clean look with colors as highlights rather than the main focus, which is why i'm trying not to go overboard. 

right. Everybody knows its xmas time. wearing small pieces of red and green can work nicely and really add to a holiday theme. Getting crazy with loud ties, mixed up pocket squares, etc, will just make you silly. Moderation is the key here. Less is most definitely more.

jorkee

Reaction score
right. Everybody knows its xmas time. wearing small pieces of red and green can work nicely and really add to a holiday theme. Getting crazy with loud ties, mixed up pocket squares, etc, will just make you silly. Moderation is the key here. Less is most definitely more.

While I am a bit of a fun/goofy guy around the office, I do want to keep it classy for this party, while keeping in the theme. If mixing the pocket squares is too much, and a green+red tie/square combo is right out of the question, then I'll have to find a smaller, less imposing accessory in one of the colors I want, and then stick with a tie for my main color. I assume a white pocket square is still acceptable regardless of what else I do? (within reason) I'm a BIG fan of pocket squares. I work in an oilfield town, and a pocket square absolutely stands out as that extra bit of class when it comes to our functions.

Nine Miler

Reaction score
This is a good opportunity for a tartan bow tie and a waistcoat- not matching.

jorkee

Reaction score
This is a good opportunity for a tartan bow tie and a waistcoat- not matching.

A black waistcoat is something I've been meaning to buy for a while now. This could work if I can find such a bow tie where I live.

What's everyone's general consensus on white jackets and bow ties? I could knock the class down a bit and go for more of a fun look since it is a party. White jacket, white shirt, black pants+shoes, lavender bow tie?

Nine Miler

Reaction score
I dont love them either. I don't like the black suit idea. There are a few ways to do it. Maybe grey or cream flannels with a tweed jacket, navy waistcoat, a shirt with a light blue butcher stripe and tartan bow. You could also do a navy suit, same shirt and bow, and forego the waistcoat, or in that case you could do a tweed waistcoat. You can also accessorize with things like a scarf, gloves, overcoat, hat, etc. You can replace the waistcoat with a cardigan. With the options above, a dove grey, burgundy/maroon, forest green, or oatmeal colored cardigan could work, too. There are lots of options, and I don't know if you have any of these things, but I think they would all work better than a black suit. If you are really tight on budget, I would imagine you can thrift (or ebay) tweed jackets and ties/bows pretty easily in comparison to other things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads