• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Gift for Girlfriend

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've been dating only a couple of months and this will be our first Christmas together. She talks a alot about wanting to dress better, so its obvious the kind of gift she wants. Problem is Im no good at buying anything more complex than a scarf or gloves for women. I can think of a couple stores that would be perfect for her but I cringe at the thought of handing her a gift card for a present.

Is a gift card a faux pas? It seems like something you get from your aunt.

Prince

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
We've been dating only a couple of months and this will be our first Christmas together. She talks a alot about wanting to dress better, so its obvious the kind of gift she wants. Problem is Im no good at buying anything more complex than a scarf or gloves for women. I can think of a couple stores that would be perfect for her but I cringe at the thought of handing her a gift card for a present.

Is a gift card a faux pas? It seems like something you get from your aunt.

So why don't you get something like a scarf or nice gloves? Don't see anything wrong with it personally.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince
So why don't you get something like a scarf or nice gloves? Don't see anything wrong with it personally.

I don't know...just seems a little boring.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
bring her to a nice place, let her choose what she wants and foot the bill. or get La Perla lingerie?
smile.gif

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
The question is: how much are you willing to spend? How much can you afford? I have found that buying the actual item is never a good idea, because women change their minds so often. So you might simply give he a bandana and say she'll need that after x-mas. Then, when the stores are open again, blindfold her with the bandana and take her to the store, where she can choose what she likes.
Of course, if you know what size she wears, lingerie is always nice...
Oh, and the girls like rings.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys...

Im actually digging the lingerie idea! But I also have my eye on this green CdG coin zip wallet that would totally be her style. And I was thinking about taking her in for some good denims. (she currently wear Express but is ho-hum about it and Im here to change it up!)

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think she should give you a **. that should be good for the both of you.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No to the lingerie, its not like Colt 45. Never a good idea. +1 to taking her out and letting her pic stuff she likes. You can get a feel then buy it later if you want it to be more "gifty"

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite stylisyh gift is an antique perfume bottle. One of those with the atomizer on it.

Dresses are difficult unless you know (and are certain about) her style and size. Lingerie is not a good idea for Christmas. Valentine's day (along with other things) sure, but not Christmas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads