Christmas dinner party attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spencermiles, Dec 9, 2004.

1. spencermiles

spencermiles New Member

I have a christmas party coming up this friday for employees of the company I work for. They say the dress code is not formal, yet nicer than business casual: Slacks and nice dress shirt for men, with jacket and tie optional. This is a software company, so I'm assuming that most people will not be wearing a jacket/suit.

I'm thinking about wearing a black tailored suit I have, mainly because I don't get the chance to wear it often enough. However, I was thinking I would just wear a nice collared shirt, top button undone and no tie, in order to not look too formal. Do you think this is a good idea?

Also, If I choose to wear the suit, is there a certain time that it is appropriate to take the jacket off? For example, when I sit down for dinner, should I remove the jacket?

I'm 22 years old fresh out of college, so this is all new to me. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'd probably do suit/tie but that's just me. Black is fine for evening, you may want to wear a colorful shirt to get a little holiday spirit going (green or red maybe? [​IMG] ) I was just at a semiformal holiday party and wore black suit with white shirt and red tie... <shrug>

3. enderz

enderz Active Member

Suit and no tie sound fine to me. Anything more would look too out of place I think. I work in the technical field and plan to wear the same thing for our Christmas party this weekend. I usually end up wearing my jacket on all night, but make sure to unbutton it if you're sitting down.

4. AskAndyAboutClothes

AskAndyAboutClothes Senior member

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

You'll need a nice Christmas red pocket square.

6. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Wear a red holiday vest with a white turtleneck underneath. A pair of khakis and loafers. Add a Santa hat for some holiday spirt.