• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Breakfast!

MrMonkey

Reaction score
I just wanted to share this with the forum. With the festive season pretty much upon us, I thought you may be interested in the perfect Christmas day breakfast for yourselves, any significant other and possibly any in-laws! This is the perfect breakfast to impress, at Christmas or indeed any time of the year!

Scrambled Eggs with smoked salmon;

First, take a good slice of bread. Not your average sliced loaf, perhaps think more fresh crusty bloomer, sour dough bread, or for a "˜cute' breakfast a halved English muffin. Pop this into the toaster, but remember to keep an eye on it!

With the carbs taken care of (i.e. the bread!), add a generous knob of butter to a pan. Add a medium heat, and melt. Keep stirring this, as you don't want to burn to the pan.

Next, take 3 medium - large eggs per person (I recommend only cooking at most 6 per pan!). Break these straight into the pan. Don't season or mix first, as the egg will start to break down.

With the eggs in the pan, begin stirring and mixing up the eggs. Keep for around 30 seconds on the heat. Remove the from the heat for around 15 seconds, then add back to the heat for 30 seconds.

The secret here, don't keep on the heat too long. The pan will retain heat, and continue cooking the eggs. The key is to keep stirring the eggs, as if you were cooking risotto.

Around now, check your toast, this may be done! If so, take from the toaster / grill and pop on a plate. Take a break out from the eggs to add a good quality butter to these

Now, back to the eggs; Cook to taste. Remember, scrambled eggs should be runny and sloppy, almost able to be consumed through a straw, yet cooked. I for 3 large eggs, 2 30 second blasts on the heat, and 3 20 second off the heat works well. Once a good consistency is achieve, add a tablespoon of crème fraise direct from the fridge (I have heard in the US this is difficult to find, so substitute cultured, soured cream). Stir well. This will stop the eggs from over cooking. Also at this point, season with a little salt and pepper, and perhaps add some freshly chopped chives. Now, add 2 slices (or 3, spoil yourselves, it is Christmas!) of (preferably) medium oak smoked salmon to each slice of toast. Finally, spoon the scrabled egg mixture evenly onto the toast.

I recommend serving with a nice chilled Bollinger, and glass of fresh orange juice. With any luck, this should keep the family going whilst the turkey is cooking, yet give them enough energy to get through the present opening!

Have a trial run, and let me know how it turns out! Obviously, the salmon can be swapped for bacon should this be more to taste, however I would urge you to try the salmon first!

jobro

Reaction score
Who would have thought to have eggs for breakfast? Great idea. The bacon suggestion is also a smart one.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
how about something for the hangover?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
where's the ranch dressing?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Who would have thought to have eggs for breakfast? Great idea. The bacon suggestion is also a smart one.

Not to be insensitive to the OP, but I really got a good LOL from this reply. Classic SF snark.

MrMonkey

Reaction score
Sark is good, season of festive cheer anyhow!

I actually got the idea to post somewhere after a number of people asked the question of me about what will be doing for Christmas. I was going to put a post about the turkey dinner, but when I looked at writing out the post, I thought it was going to take over the whole forum.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrMonkey
Sark is good, season of festive cheer anyhow!

I actually got the idea to post somewhere after a number of people asked the question of me about what will be doing for Christmas. I was going to put a post about the turkey dinner, but when I looked at writing out the post, I thought it was going to take over the whole forum.

What makes you think that anyone would want to know about you having three scrambled eggs for breakfast
confused.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrMonkey
Remember, scrambled eggs should be runny and sloppy, almost able to be consumed through a straw!
i appreciate your attention to detail but this is ******* wretched.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
These cooking suggestions are of good class.

What would your suggestions be for a vegetarian?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a tad confused on the toasting part. In between starting the toast and then checking on it, how long exactly should I wait? And how can I keep an eye on the toast whilst simultaneously working on the eggs? Seems like a lot of activity to try to keep track of.

Also, about the eggs: does the 30 seconds on the heat start when the first, or second, or third egg hits the pan? It takes me about 10 seconds to gently crack an egg properly without getting shells in there so by the time the first egg has been on for 30 seconds the 3rd one has only been on there for about 10 seconds. And wait - if I try six eggs at once, the math is really kind of mind-boggling. Does this recipe not essentially limit the number of eggs used simultaneously to more like 3, or 4 on the outside?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried this recipe in 1997 and it was delicious. Thanks OP!!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eggs?? Damm, I have to go and get some b4 Xmas. Novel idea...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Please to help with making eggs with the sous vide method.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Please to help with making eggs with the sous vide method.
i'd say about an hour at 70 degrees Fahrenheit should achieve OP's desired consistency. oh, and don't use a pouch.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
<checking on eggs for sale at the b&s threads>

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads