• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Christensen" tie knot rediscovered

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before the Great Crash this winter, I posted a question about the "Christensen" knot, which I'd once learned, used for a while and then forgot. I finally found "The Book of Ties" at the local Salvation Army, where the knot was illustrated:
Christens1.jpg
Christens3.jpg
Any thoughts? The book seems to have been made as some sort of promotional material for the Tie Rack chain, and is also the victim of a translation from the Italian to English, with not a few curiosities. (I also have to say that I'm quite impressed with my new mobile camera, after photographing this straight from the pages.)

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I like it. A good way to be different. I'd love someone to do the knot and post a photograph. Kind of hard to make a real judgment without seeing the "3D" look.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
There may be one problem. Some unknowing folk may think you don't know how to tie your tie.

lifersfc

Reaction score
It is extraordinarily difficult to get this knot to look like it does on paper. Somewhat interesting in real life, but its details are covered by the shirt collar, unless a spread collar is worn. Getting the little piece to show on the lower left is basically impossible....

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I normally stick with the four in hand because for symmetical knots I don't like how wide the top of the triangle of a windsor knot is in comparison with the narrow bottom. But this is basically a symetrical knot in the dimensions of a four in hand with just that little bit of difference. I am an instant convert and will be using this with regularity.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it! It looks like the last step involves pulling the wide blade under two loops of the tie. I'll give it a try.

My only danger is, since I don't wear a tie very often, people may indeed think I don't know how to tie a tie.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it but alas I can not figure out what I'm doing wrong it comes out exactly like my half windsor

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I`m doing it wrong, but it seems a lot like a half windsor in reverse...and the result is almost the same.

Personally, I like the Prince Albert which has the merits of a FiH with a little more volume.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
interest way to tie a knot i will have to try later! cheers!!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
The Merovingian wore a similar knot in The Matrix Reloaded... interesting.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lifersfc
turns out looking like this for me:

img0206tm1.jpg

Looks good! At your leisure, and if you can, could you post a pic of the knot worn on a shirt.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics