1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

"Christensen" tie knot rediscovered

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lucky Strike, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Aureus

Aureus Senior Member

I wish I had a digital camera... as I've managed to pretty much exactly duplicate the picture with a very thin tie that widens very slowly. Well mine doesn't manage to get quite a pronounced cross, but its there on the top and bottom.

2. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Distinguished Member

i actually got a pretty much perfect reproduction of the drawing...now i have to wait for a darn digi cam.

3. otterhound

otterhound Senior Member

legally speaking, i think you're infringing on "the walmart manager" knot.
    Hilarious![​IMG]

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

J, I'd try the gordian, but I'm worried that I would never get it _untied_. Then I would perpetually look like a Walmart manager.
    You don't untie it--you cut it off with a sword!

5. glen_quagmire

glen_quagmire Member

I know this thread is a little old.

Would you wear this knot to an interview? Or is it too much and a "classic" knot would be better?

6. TheIdler

TheIdler Distinguished Member

Why on earth would you want to wear this knot to an interview? Stick to a classic. You can go all crazy with a Christensen after you get the job.

7. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior Member

Unless you're interviewing for the position of catalogue printer at the Swedish firm of Stralin and Persson, I think it best to stick to a half Windsor for the interview.

8. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

J, I'd try the gordian, but I'm worried that I would never get it _untied_. Then I would perpetually look like a Walmart manager.

You don't untie it--you cut it off with a sword!

Collectively, I believe the two of you are infringing on an Eric Glennie patent.

9. HomerJ

HomerJ Distinguished Member

Unless you're interviewing for the position of catalogue printer at the Swedish firm of Stralin and Persson, I think it best to stick to a half Windsor for the interview.

[​IMG]

10. eric glennie

eric glennie Senior Member

Collectively, I believe the two of you are infringing on an Eric Glennie patent.

Looks like I have made an impact , and some of you recognize the Eric Glennie style. I believe Every designer should have a signature tieknot . I will crank the Quiet Riot this weekend see what I can come up with. You guys are good to me and deserve a little style and a cool looking tie knot.

11. contactme_11

contactme_11 Distinguished Member

There may be one problem. Some unknowing folk may think you don't know how to tie your tie.

+1 I've always liked this knot but always wondered about this.

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

I've tried this knot on many occasions - it's a bit difficult to make, but if done correctly, very few people, including most members here, would notice the difference between the Christensen and a "classic" knot. I wouldn't have any qualms about wearing it to an interview.

It's like the old questions about wearing pocket squares and cufflinks to interviews; nobody would notice, unless they have more than an average interest in clothes, in which case the pocket square/cufflinks/unusual knot would probably be a plus.

On the other hand, life is full of better opportunities for taking sartorial chances, I suppose.

13. eric glennie

eric glennie Senior Member

Unless I incorrectly tied the Christensen, it is one of the easiest ties to knot. I think the chap that drew up the diagram of the knot was playing a joke because the Christensen is impossible to knot from the diagram. I posted one on my website www.ericglennie.com under sport collars. I used a spliced necktie to accentuate the knuckling in the knot.

I would post a photo but cant at this time.

14. axe

axe Senior Member

Tagging for later reference.

15. glen_quagmire

glen_quagmire Member

Unless I incorrectly tied the Christensen, it is one of the easiest ties to knot. I think the chap that drew up the diagram of the knot was playing a joke because the Christensen is impossible to knot from the diagram. I posted one on my website www.ericglennie.com under sport collars. I used a spliced necktie to accentuate the knuckling in the knot.

I would post a photo but cant at this time.

mine looks the same. I also think it is very easy to knot.