• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chris has left Bennie's

kennethpollock

Reaction score
I understand that Chris left Bennie's about 2 months ago to put more effort into his own Internet sporting goods business.
I will drop by tomorrow and ask Louie if that is going to affect future attempts to get more Grensons. Bennie's used to carry Alfred Sargent at good prices; it ought to stock them again. It also sold Alden at discounted prices until local competition complained to the factory. It is still Atlanta's largest seller of AE.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Kenneth,

Valuable info. Keep us posted. I'd like to try some Grensons...maybe we can get some Crockett & Jones action as well?
smile.gif

kennethpollock

Reaction score
I did go by Bennie's on Piedmont Road today. There are no plans to carry Alfred Sargent any time soon, due to the unfavorable dollar/pound exchange rate.
Louie said that they are in the process of improving their web site.
I did notice that they had more than a few Grensons on the racks and there was a sign saying take an extra 10% off any shoe on the racks. If anyone wears a 9.5 D, they are in luck, as I saw two lovely Grenson Masterpieces, an Oundle in Brown and a spectacular brown leather-tan fabric spectator, both marked $250.00.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Duh, I found the site.
smile.gif

Kenneth, what prices are the Grensons? Do you know what models were on display? This must be a Buckhead only deal as I didn't see any in Norcross.

What do folks here think about the quality on this brand?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Duh, I found the site.
smile.gif

Kenneth, what prices are the Grensons? Do you know what models were on display? This must be a Buckhead only deal as I didn't see any in Norcross.

What do folks here think about the quality on this brand?

Of what brand? Grenson?

Search on them.. Grenson masterpieces (a reason everyone loves Bennie's) are made to near/the same levels of C&J handgrades. They no longer make them.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Of what brand? Grenson?

Search on them.. Grenson masterpieces (a reason everyone loves Bennie's) are made to near/the same levels of C&J handgrades. They no longer make them.

Except for Paul Stuart. They're truly beautiful shoes, and the $250 Bennies charges is far less than PS asks.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Except for Paul Stuart. They're truly beautiful shoes, and the $250 Bennies charges is far less than PS asks.

I was still referring to Grenson "branded" stuff. Stuart's Choice doesn't count. :p

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
I did go by Bennie's on Piedmont Road today. There are no plans to carry Alfred Sargent any time soon, due to the unfavorable dollar/pound exchange rate.
I did notice that they had more than a few Grensons on the racks and there was a sign saying take an extra 10% off any shoe on the racks. If anyone wears a 9.5 D, they are in luck, as I saw two lovely Grenson Masterpieces, an Oundle in Brown and a spectacular brown leather-tan fabric spectator, both marked $250.00.

Mr. Pollock, can you describe the Grenson Oundle? If it's anything like the EG Oundle, I'd probably fly down and buy it, but I'm sure that the Grenson version is a completely different shoe.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock

Thanks. I am in Atlanta now (until tuesday morning) and will try to go there today. I am a 9.5 (more E than D though).

kennethpollock

Reaction score
They won't have any in your size but be sure to look at the J&M Handmades on the racks in sizes 6 and 7. They are magnificent.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much Kenneth. I went to Bennie's in Buckhead today to have a look at the Grensons. The 9.5Ds you mentioned were indeed beautiful shoes. The Oundle in brown, as DocHolliday says, has a very stunning antique patina. Unfortunately, the last those are made on was too narrow for me.

Just when I was starting to despair though, I saw a pair of black perforated captoes w/medallion in a wider, rounder toe last than the Oundle (rather like the EG 82 or 606 vs. the 888 for the Oundle). These were not marked Grensons but had the exact same sole with black in the middle and nail pattern, and insides as the Masterpieces. They were marked Ducker and Sons, Oxford and the salesperson confirmed me they were Grensons. They were stamped imperfect and the only defect I could notice was the medallion on the left shoe was slightly off-center. Also, the tongue on one side was stitched to the upper. (I'll try post pics when I get home later this week). Best of all, they fit me great and they were marked $150, less 10% = $135!!

I bought them, with woodlore cedar trees ($15.95) and also bought a pair of tobacco brown Magnanni wingtip bals. Even though they're no Grensons, since I wanted brown shoes, I bought them too.

So thank you for the tip Ken. This is my first pair of welted English shoes. I mentioned your SF post to Louie who said he would thank you for the plug. The J&M handmades are really magnificent shoes as you say. The brogues have that extended sole on the sides (I forget the technical term for that) but there were only small sizes. Some great choices for sizes 6-7 as you say. Even more Masterpieces and some that looked like EGs with the same Made in England in script marking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads