• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chris Bangle Quits!

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like him or not, Bangle's current design aesthetic that started with the E60/E61 5 Series has influenced almost every singe car released in the last four years.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
now how about forcing whoever designs for GM and Ford to quit?

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
In the 90s the 3-, 5-, & 7-series sedans looked the same from a distance..... hard to tell them apart. Is that the look BMW should return to? One design, three sizes?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
In the 90s the 3-, 5-, & 7-series sedans looked the same from a distance..... hard to tell them apart. Is that the look BMW should return to? One design, three sizes?

If it's a good looking design, then why not? It's like Aston Martin. I'd rather have 3 similar and good looking designs than 3 ugly and different ones.

As for the Banglebutt on a 6-series, the only thing it was nice for was acting as a flat surface for putting my drink on at the debut party.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I used to hate Bangle but have come to appreciate him. Some of his early designs were big misses, but there's no question he built a consistent image on BMWs that anyone can notice and that, as others have pointed out, nearly everyone has imitated, and during an era in which BMW has seen an explosion in popularity.

My biggest problem with Bangle is that his designs are just halfway there. Some of his cars look fantastic from certain angles, but he blows it in places. And he's tried to get a little too cute with some of the grilles and lights. People wax poetic about the "old" BMW look, but Bimmers were pretty clunky in the era just before he got there. The E39 5-series, in particular, looked like a jelly bean.

I have an E92 and I think it's one of the best looking cars on the road today. The Z4 is also gorgeous and distinctive.

OTOH, the 5-series might be better without the goofy head and tail lights, the 6-series is nice until you have to look at it from behind, the 7-series is OK but has goofy lights of its own, the 1-series is a freaking joke, and the E90 3-series, before they re-did the lights and grille to mimic the E92, was fugly.

Just one repeat BMW owner's opinion.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I used to hate Bangle but have come to appreciate him. Some of his early designs were big misses, but there's no question he built a consistent image on BMWs that anyone can notice and that, as others have pointed out, nearly everyone has imitated, and during an era in which BMW has seen an explosion in popularity.

I agree, he was a trendsetter.

Smartalox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I haven't personally liked any BMW since the E30.

+1 here. I have a 20-year old e30 325ix (rare, all wheel drive version) and it's a beautiful car, inside and out. The form is simple, clean, timeless, and does nothing to impede any of the car's functions, or performance. The cockpit is low and long, with all the controls simple and close at hand; the vehicle is tight and responsive and still a joy to drive - especially in the twisties. It is very easy to work on, with most vital components easily accessible and even major repairs can be accomplished by the home mechanic. Every threaded component on the car has a torque spec.

Those BMWs that 'all looked the same' (with the e24 6-series, and e38 7-series as particular favourites) were among the last cars designed by ENGINEERS, with pencils and paper - not a self-indulgent fop, equipped with little more than play-dough and a box of crayons. By comparison, a friend's e46 is a nightmare of bad access, and poorly designed parts. And that panel line behind the door of my boss' e92 coupe, looks cheap, and in my opinion ruins the appeal of the whole car. When I first laid eyes on the X6, I threw up a little in my mouth.

Under Chris Bangle, BMW pissed away its reputation as 'the Ultimate Driving Machine'. Now all everyone talks about is DESIGN putting style ahead of substance, and technologically BMW has been surpassed by Mercedes (though they are in danger of flushing themselves) and have been pants'ed by Toyota. Incidentally, Lexus (Toyota's luxury division) was founded with a mandate to "build a better BMW".

(For what it's worth, I heard that Bangle was also responsible for the Pontiac Aztek, easily one of the ugliest cars ever.)

Good riddance.

Oh, and for everyone who thinks Bangle had anything to do with BMW's growth, should consider instead the rise of capitalism in Eastern Europe, and the industrilaization of China. These markets came into being wanting "the best", and at the time, BMW was it. They would have bought those cars no matter how ugly they were. The only contribution of Bangle made was to insist that he was responsible, and sweet-talk the board into betting the company's future and reputation on ugly butts and iDrive.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smartalox

Oh, and for everyone who thinks Bangle had anything to do with BMW's growth, should consider instead the rise of capitalism in Eastern Europe, and the industrilaization of China. These markets came into being wanting "the best", and at the time, BMW was it. They would have bought those cars no matter how ugly they were. The only contribution of Bangle made was to insist that he was responsible, and sweet-talk the board into betting the company's future and reputation on ugly butts and iDrive.

Actually, BMW is in short supply here. Audi is the German car of choice for douchebags who can't afford a Ferrari.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Actually, BMW is in short supply here. Audi is the German car of choice for douchebags who can't afford a Ferrari.

So, Tom, what do you choose to drive between soft bosoms and tight bottoms?
devil.gif

And wasn't Jon the main proponent for Audi on this forum?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smartalox
Under Chris Bangle, BMW pissed away its reputation as 'the Ultimate Driving Machine'. Now all everyone talks about is DESIGN putting style ahead of substance, and technologically BMW has been surpassed by Mercedes (though they are in danger of flushing themselves) and have been pants'ed by Toyota. Incidentally, Lexus (Toyota's luxury division) was founded with a mandate to "build a better BMW".

If Toyota, Lexus, and Mercedes have all surpassed BMW as "The Ultimate Driving Machine" then why does BMW keep winning every single head-to-head road test against these cars? The 3-series remains the undisputed entry-level luxury sports sedan, and the 5-series has consistently been called the best overall car on the road.

I mean, I get that you don't like Bangle, and that's fine, but to assert (falsely) that BMW is no longer the ultimate driver's car and then lay the blame for what then would be an engineering failure at his feet is taking it too far.

Oh, and for everyone who thinks Bangle had anything to do with BMW's growth, should consider instead the rise of capitalism in Eastern Europe, and the industrilaization of China. These markets came into being wanting "the best", and at the time, BMW was it. They would have bought those cars no matter how ugly they were.
While I can't comment on your rather wild assertions about China and Eastern Europe, I do know that BMW has steadily increased its US market share as well during the Bangle years.

mk-at720_euroca_ns_20090104224414.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, there's a lot of misinformation in Smartalox's post.

For one, Wayne Cherry designed the Aztek, not Bangle. If you had thought about this for a second, it would have been obvious since Bangle's been with BMW since the 90s, which is when the Aztek was designed.

Most BMWs, even going back to the pre-New Class cars have been styled by someone, so railing against designed BMWs is like railing against almost every model they've produced. The only recent engineer-designed BMW I know of is the E30 touring, which was put together by an engineer who wanted a wagon that BMW didn't make.

Nor has design diluted their driving abilities. Newer cars are more insulated, but each new generation has been far more dynamically capable than the previous generation as borne out by track lap times. Outside traditional sports car companies, I doubt you will find a similar record of vehicle dynamics improvements.

And the E46 being a "nightmare of access"? At best, that's an exaggeration made to serve the author's preferences, and at worse, it's an ignorant statement made by someone who hasn't worked on one. The depth of engineering in a BMW doesn't really come out until you've worked on one.

--Andre

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hooray!

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
And the E46 being a "nightmare of access"? At best, that's an exaggeration made to serve the author's preferences, and at worse, it's an ignorant statement made by someone who hasn't worked on one. The depth of engineering in a BMW doesn't really come out until you've worked on one. --Andre
Thanks for taking the time to respond to Smartalox's post. I was formulating a response when I read it but figured that since his post was a huge heaping pile of bullshit completely based on inaccuracies that I'd pass. This (very rare!) is clearly the last great BMW ever made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads