• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chow's hiring the beginning of the end for USC?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't buy this, I think USC will continue to be good as long as they are able to recruit top recruits, and I'm sure they will be able to replace Chow, although he may hurt a bit in the long run, I think USC's resurgence is not going to end because of his hiring, also I doubt USC would be able to outbid the Titans for his services especially because Chow wants to be a college or NFL head coach, eventually.

Here's the article:

The departure of offensive coordinator Norm Chow from USC to the NFL will not be the end of the Trojans' dominance. It may not be noticed at all this season, when the offense loses only two senior starters and returns a Heisman Trophy winner.

But it is the beginning of the end. To pretend that Oakland assistant Steve Sarkisian (should he return to USC) can churn out quarterbacks like a coach who has developed three Heisman Trophy winners (Ty Detmer, Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart), not to mention Philip Rivers, Steve Young, Robbie Bosco, Jim McMahon and Gifford Nielsen, is foolish.

Chow is a singular talent, and coach Pete Carroll decided, for reasons so far unknown, not to work to keep him. You can't help but think that a clash of egos caused Chow to leave. What's not to like about winning 33 of 34 games?

One of the more interesting hidden stories this season will be the progress of John David Booty, Rocky Hinds and Matt Sanchez, the three quarterbacks who will jockey to replace Leinart.

History tells us that dynasties can begin to crumble from within as well as without.

-- Ivan Maisel

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Well as an Arizona fan, I have to hope so
tounge.gif
It does make for an interesting debate though - and if USC loses a game or two next year, will it be blamed on Chow's departure or other factors. You could ask the same question about the New England Patriots with the departure of Romeo Crennel and Charley Weis. Bradford

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the departure of Weis is the bigger concern, as Belichick always has a good handle on defense. He has shown a remarkable knack for offense lately though, subbing for Weis and Dick Reihbein (decased QB coach, died in 2002) I actually thought Chow wouldn't have been a bad fit for the Pats, but they want someone who knows their system.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Maisel is claiming that USC will not continue to be very good after Chow leaves.  Instead, he is observing that they are likely to come back to the pack to the point where you cannot pencil them into the national championship game at the beginning of every season.  To that point, I agree.  Think of Chow's departure as akin to the departure of a very talented head sous chef at a four-star restaurant.  Even if the ingredients remain the same, the restaurant's dishes are likely to lack the inventiveness of preparation that distinguishes the truly superlative restaurants from the merely excellent ones.

AAA

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether or not Chow called the plays?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure Chow called the plays, Carroll's speciality was defense...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Chow called the plays, Carroll's speciality was defense...
According to this article, Carroll was significantly involved in the offense, even though his speciality is defense.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure he was, Belichick is involved in the Pats offense too, even though he's known as a defensive mastermind, but Weis called the plays in NE...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting story on the circumstances behind Chow's departure.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting story on the circumstances behind Chow's departure.
Wow... Wonder if Leinart is regretting his decision to stay in school. Bradford

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ambulance Chaser is right. USC will still be really, really good, but probably won't dominate like they have the past 3 years. Look at what happened to Bowden's program after his coordinators left. Chow is considered one of the premiere offensive coordinators out there, and salvaged Carson Palmer's prospects. Palmer had joined the program as a highly recruited prospect, but hadn't really done much before Chow. And, Leinhart was expected to be more or less a college backup quaterback, a #2 or #3 untill he developed under Chow.

A thing that I find potentially trobuling for USC's program is that Carroll is giving more responsibilty to Kiplin, the son of Carrol's mentor. If things don't work it, it might be tought to cut Kiplin.

Of course, USC was lucky to have him in the first place. Chow probably would have remained at BYU the rest of his life if one of the administrators there hadn't used the term '*****'.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the double-standard that irritates me; when players leave early, they're villified, when coaches leave, they're lauded.

koji

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bowden isn't a good example. FSU just isn't getting good talent lately. Mauer left for MLB, Rix washed out, McPherson got caught up in gambling, and they have all other sorts of player issues. I don't think Richt leaving had much to do with it at all, although I do think Bobby B. hasn't been a great coach, just a good recruiter.

I think USC won't miss a step w/o Chow, sure, he did a great job grooming Leinart, et al... but USC has stepped up their program into top status, and much of that has to do with Carroll, not Chow.

Chow left BYU because he didn't get the head coaching job, and wouldn't when Crowton left. If they had offered him the head coaching job, he'd still be there, as the head coach.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dz,

I admit I don't follow the SEC too much, but if we both agree that Bowden wasn't a great coach and that his strength lied in recruiting, I think its only fair to credit his assistant coaches with playing an integral part of Bowden's success. It doesn't matter if you recruit a player with the most potential if you can't develop it and if the player can't execute properly on the field. And, let's look at what his assistants have done when they left Bowden, and Bowden's record since they've left. Its obvious that they brought a lot to the program that Bowden hasn't been able to replace.

I think Carrol has been a great college coach, and much better than a pro coach. However, for USC to not miss a step, they'll need to go undeafted for two straight years and end up winning the national championship two consecutive years. That's going to be pretty hard in of itself, and USC has only made it harder for themselves by losing what most people consider one of the finest offensive coordinators out there. With all the constant influx of new players in college and concomitant transistion, it seems imperative to have the right people in place as coaches to train and teach all these newbies. I don't think you'll see a immediate drop off next year with Leinhart still playing, but will see a decline afterwards.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Florida State is in the ACC, not the SEC, and that is the reason why they were good for so long, their conference had NOONE. Now it has Miami and V.Tech and that has alot to do with why they aren't as good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads