• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing your style: the crossroad

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Histrion -

I'm 22 and just graduated from undergrad. Any "brainiac questions" you get could be from the fact you're just 20 and in law school. Kudos for being some kind of academic boy wonder.

When you're trying to think about how to equalize all of these personas you wear, you have two options. You can take what style/occassion you're wearing - streetware, preppy, "dressed-up" and so forth. You can also look at it from the perceptual side; what consistencies do you find between how people are viewing you? It sounds like you're finding your "place" with fabrics, cuts, and so forth - while others have not. Perceptually, people probably think you look really put together (regardless of your style/occassion), like you have some kind of mastery over yourself. If I had to guess, that's why when you're dressed in a vneck and such, people ask you questions - to them, you really look like you know what you're doing visually, so you probably know what you're doing judiciously (sp?). That's certainly not a bad thing.

You could also look at your dress as a filtering mechanism, to ride on GQGeek's comments. I'm sure everyone here has found that when you dress well, some people find it intimidating. That's perfectly fine; there's plenty of people in the world. The people at SF are probably fairly self confident and those who can get over your dress are as well. Anybody who becomes inaccessible because of your style is probably not worth knowing, in my opinion.

As for the play/serious divide... that's probably a question I can't answer, as I'm facing the question as well. Let me know if you figure that one out
laugh.gif

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Histrion -

I'm 22 and just graduated from undergrad. Any "brainiac questions" you get could be from the fact you're just 20 and in law school. Kudos for being some kind of academic boy wonder.

Oh, no, I specified I was at UniversitÃ
00a9.png
Laval, in QuÃ
00a9.png
bec, because our system is differrent. Here, once you finish high school, you go to CÃ
00a9.png
gep, which last two years, and then go to whatever University program you have the prerequisite for, law being one of them. It's not a professional school per se, like it is in the US and English-Canada. Basically, our system is like everywhere else... except North America. Kind of odd when you think of it. A lot of people do, however, come to law a little later than I did.

It is not related to the topic, but I wanted to get that out of the way: I am not some kind of genius.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are in the perfect place to experiment with your outfits. It sounds like you're not that interested in following fashion but want your own style. If attacking women is a priority then you'll need to tone down your interest in style. As posts on the forums note not many men are interested in style. Thus, be your own style leader, and let the rest of the world follow you.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I like this look as well. Women notice the finer details and I think it gives one confidence to wear quality.

I don't know if the ladies notice the details... Don't get me wrong, they see a very well dressed person, but I think they see "expensive" more than any particular detail. I on the other hand almost had an orgasm when I saw the pick-stitching on my new navy cashmere blazer. It's so perfect.
inlove.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Anybody who becomes inaccessible because of your style is probably not worth knowing, in my opinion.

I would second that. If you dress well and catch people snickering or making comments, screw 'em. The only people that do that in the first place are either ignorant or jealous. Realistically, there isn't very much of that sort of behavior at the university level so don't even worry about it. If you're a cool guy, people will like you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads