• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing the right Wingtip

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been looking into a versatile shoe that can be worn with jeans and khakis, that's a bit more on the dressy side.
After reading through the forums, I think brown wingtips would be a good match. The only issue I've been having is in finding a reputable "Made in the USA" shoe $300 - $400 and is just the right brown.

I've looked at Allen Edmonds and Alden. I like Alden better but the brown that they have is too light. The AE in http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...val=&Widthval= link seems good but it's a balmoral and has a rubber sole, plus I read a thread here that doesn't find AE all that good.

Any advice would be helpful

Eccentric

Reaction score
I don't know which thread you saw, because Allen Edmonds has a very solid reputation on this board. You would probably benefit from expanding your mind into other colors, as well. Alden has some very nice suede wingtips, as well as a burgundy semi-brogue blucher that would look great with jeans or khakis. You could always check plal.com as well for Crockett and Jones.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out the MacNeil from AE. I have a pair in Burgundy Shell that I wear all the time. They are above your price point, full retail, but you will be able to find them for less on sale (especially nowadays). I also have the Bel Air, but I like it better with suits than casual clothes.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden makes more than one wingtip, in tan as well as dark brown, and cordovan. You should get one of them if AE turns you off

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a BIG fan of Burgundy and Brown Wingtips with jeans. I'm thinking of picking up Wingtips in suede but will likely get Suede Chukka's before that.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Would Suede work out for Jeans and Khakis?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes.

Siggy

Reaction score
E has a good rep. I agree that brown wingtips look good with jeans & khakis. You could also go with burgundy or tan color, or suede. AE and Alden are pretty much the only quality American made shoes, otherwise you might find some good Italians out there for that price too.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
if you like the alden's can you consider darkening it with polish?

Eccentric

Reaction score
Burgandy with dark denim is like...I don't know, but it's damn good.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
Would Suede work out for Jeans and Khakis?

Yes Yes Yes

Dark brown suede brogues (wingtips) are the most versatile shoes of all, and are appropriate for anything but a formal occasion. They go well with anything from jeans, to gray flannels and a sportcoat, to a double breasted navy suit.

bluemax

Reaction score
I'd also recommend the AE Bel-Air. It's a very versatile shoe. I wear mine with both dark jeans and dress pants, but not at the same time.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads