1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing the right suit silhouette...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by frankie lee, Jul 30, 2006.

1. frankie lee

frankie lee Active Member

I've got a relatively long torso and relatively short legs. I'm wondering what sort of suit silhouette might look best on me, i.e., make me look like my torso's a little bit shorter and my legs look like they're a little bit longer. Is a shorter jacket the best way to accomplish this? Any difference between a slimmer Italian cut vs. a more American cut?

For what it's worth, I'm 5-10, 175 lbs, wear a 40 reg, 34-inch waist. Thanks for any advice you may have.

2. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a broad question and without seeing you, I won't be too specific. This is one thing that helps your proportion regardless of the suit style you pick. A high waist in the jacket. Shape the waist above the button on your waistline. This will add definition to your torso and lengthen the line from waist line down.

3. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Yes, the waist is a good point, one that most image professionals are slow to think of.

Other ideas, which are a bit risky because only you know your exact proportions, include flap pockets and a slightly lower button stance on the jacket. You can do without cuffs on the pants, but then you probably should do without pleats, which is venturing into Italian suit styling. Also, there are tricks that aren't part of the suit itself, such as matching the shoe color to the suit color.

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Go to Saks or NM and try on the various styles you thinking about and ask the sale people for their advice. Take some pictures and post them of what you are considering. The forum members are always willing to share their opinions.