• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing the right hair product for styling hair

joshb12

Reaction score
What would be the best product for styling my hair? I'm going for something new and trying the messy look, or the spiked all around look with buzzed sides. My hair is also pretty thick on top and I have to have it thinned out every four weeks. With this new style it is also gaining a good amount of length to the top. I DO NOT like the wet look with my hair. I want something that is going to hold my hair because it tends to want to start falling down towards the evening.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score
I -- and I'm joined in this by many others -- am very fond of d:fi's waxes. The blue one is an excellent all-rounder and the green one is great for when you need extra structure.

Last edited:

joshb12

Reaction score
I -- and I'm joined in this by many others -- am very fond of d:fi's waxes. The blue one is an excellent all-rounder and the green one is great for when you need extra structure.

I had never heard of this before, thank you! is this like a fiber? or just plain wax? For my hair, I'm almost thinking the green one may be best due to it being thick and how much of a hold I would need. But this doesn't give your hair the wet look?

Ivar

Reaction score
No idea what they classify as, but they don't make your hair shiny (within reason) and come off easily with a little warm water. Using the green one alone will make your hair look too stiff and lifeless, so I suggest you buy them both and use the blue one as the foundation and the green one wherever some extra strength is needed.

Last edited:

Cubits

Reaction score
I use brylcreem in place of conditioner right after a shower, let it dry properly, then apply a touch of american crew pomade. It isn't shiny, and the hair stays put forever.

If you put the pomade on wet hair, you end up looking like a cast member from mad men (which i guess is sometimes desirable).

If you put brylcreem on dry hair it just looks oily, which isn't a look for anyone.

When my hair gets a bit long, i switch to just the brylcreem to stop my hair turning into a fuzz-ball.

I'm probably a bit of a special case though, my hair eats anything with less hold for breakfast.

Last edited:

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I use L'Oreal Overworked Hair Putty. It is very subtle, and stops me from looking like a baby bird. You can see it in action in my various photos.

Punjabjat

Reaction score
I have dark hair and the best stuff I've found that won't look "flaky" is BedHead Manipulator.

Willin

Reaction score
Hands down my favorite is American Crew Forming Cream. It has the best texture of any product in their line though it's a bit pricey at around $18.00 each in NY.

Willin

Reaction score

I use brylcreem in place of conditioner right after a shower, let it dry properly, then apply a touch of american crew pomade. It isn't shiny, and the hair stays put forever.

If you put the pomade on wet hair, you end up looking like a cast member from mad men (which i guess is sometimes desirable).

If you put brylcreem on dry hair it just looks oily, which isn't a look for anyone.

When my hair gets a bit long, i switch to just the brylcreem to stop my hair turning into a fuzz-ball.

I'm probably a bit of a special case though, my hair eats anything with less hold for breakfast.

I have the same problems, Cubits. Only Crew products work for me. Nothing else has enough hold.

OP be advised that if you use Crew Forming Cream you absolutely need to have dry hair so get a hair dryer and try to avoid derisive comments when you have to use it.

I personally make the front of my hair bone dry but leave the back every so slightly damp. If the back is too dry it tends to stick straight in the air for me.

Forming Cream > all. I've been using it for about 10 years now.

jimney

Reaction score
I used clay pomade to style my hair for the non-wet look when it was shorter. I had particular luck with Baxter of California's clay pomade, though it was a bit pricey.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I buy Jonny B gel from my barber, the cobalt blue stuff. Comes in various sizes, not too expensive, hands down the best holding non sticky/ greasy gel I've ever used, rock solid hold without making your hair hard, and smells great too.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hanz de Fuko.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads