choosing the best tie for suit and shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cleanwindows, Apr 2, 2013.

1. cleanwindows

cleanwindows New Member

I am currently building my wardrobe. I now have a solid charcoal, navy, light/med grey, and black suit. Before, i just bought ties if they seemed to look good. Now I am more conscientious about getting the right tie for my suit (I often wear white dress shirts). I have been looking on the internet for such articles/video advice to get some good classic menswear info about choosing the right combo. But I find some conflicting advice or very basic/vague info. I also find some videos where the person actually does not dress that well and therefore have a hard time trusting him. I am looking to have a major refresh in my tie collection, so anyone's guidance will be gratefully taken and carefully considered; being that they are in line with classic menswear rules.

Thank you.

2. MartiniGirl

MartiniGirl Senior member

First off, Congrats on building your wardrobe! You can't go wrong with ties, really. If all you're wearing are white shirts, you can experiment with different patterns, styles, colors...etc. If you want to stand out, go for some bright colors in paisleys or stripes. If ya want to stay true to classic, go with the darker colors in solids.

If ya want some more opinions, Post a picture of your outfit in http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii They will help you out. There's some really great advice in there too.

3. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

4. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

5. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

6. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

What you will see on WAYWRN - particularly the later posts - is not necessarily consistent with "classic menswear rules".

7. cleanwindows

cleanwindows New Member

Whoa. stiva you are awesome. Thank you for your support.

I do understand the thing with the black suit. I bought it before I knew better. I do wear it occasionally being that its not so bad with me (asian/black hair).

8. cleanwindows

cleanwindows New Member

Thank you for the feedback and the helpful link martinigirl