• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing first pair of "good" brogues

mikeman

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first pair of nice shoes. I have pretty much decided that I want to get a pair of brogues. I would like to be able to dress them up if need-be, but will probably be work mostly in a more casual manor. Looking for something that is good quality as well. I also, prefer a natural color sole.

Please let me know what you think or what you would suggest.

Here are a couple pairs I like:

Grenson Sid

Trickers bourton

Last edited:

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The broguing on both of those is really aggressive. Is that what you're after?

Also, how much is your limit?

mikeman

Reaction score
Well, I'm not after that, I guess. If you have any other suggestions I'd love to see them.
As far as my limit... Id like to spend less than 400. I found the Sid for 260.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I really like Herring's Carnaby. It's very inexpensive when you look at the price minus VAT.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...&shoeid=4889&selectedSizeid=0&selectedFitid=0

Similarly, Sanders do some good brogues. I'm not sure if they do longwings, though.

There are plenty of offerings everywhere online -- do a forum search as well.

Otherwise, You can get a pair of C&J's from PLAL for about 400 or so. I'd be more inclined to invest in those if I had that kind of cashiola.

mikeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Those Herrings are nice, but maybe a bit too "dressy" for me, of that makes sense. I also would like to try an order within the states as sizing may give me some issues.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point. In that case, AE might have something a little less dressy. I'm not from the US, so that's all I can do.

Good luck on your quest.

mikeman

Reaction score
Also, does anyone know where I can get the Grenson Sid in the color pictured above within the US?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan brogue derbies with a round nose--that puts those Grensons/Trickers VERY FIRMLY in the casual category. That's fine, but you mentioned wanting to be able to dress them up, and I'm not sure you'll be able to do that. In fact, I'm sure that you won't be able to.

...Which is fine. Part of the MC/SF fun is buying/owning multiple pairs of shoes, so providing you have the money, one pair doesn't need to be suitable for all occasions. If you don't have the money, then there are shoes which are more versatile, but the ones you have suggested ain't them.

Zeppelin

Reaction score
+1

Especially the Trickers look VERY country-ish. Style-wise I love the current range of Grenson, but if you do a search here in the forum you will find a couple of threads which discuss the declining quality of Grenson. Personally I'd still buy them I guess...

For a more versatile pair of brogues I'd recommend something like these Church's:

...or even in dark brown if you want to wear them in more formal occasions:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J Pembroke or Cardiff
Herring Grassmere by Cheaney
Church's Grafton

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar to what others have said but:

Get darker brown brogues as your first shoe. Much more versatile and show wear and tear less, which is important as I imagine it will be a steep learning curve looking after a good pair of shoes if you've never done it before. Make sure you get shoe trees with them. I would also advise getting them with a dainite sole so you can wear them whether it is raining or sunny however that is not very important.

If you can afford them, get the C&J. Either those or Cheaney. Loake would also be a very good option.

Personally I'd go with the C&J Pembroke. Size down a bit in size as they are on a country last - tbh though if you know nothing of the brands and their sizing you're going to have a real problem buying online.

I'd advise you in this situation to go into a store and get your size. Yes, you may have to buy a lesser shoe for your budget, but getting an idea of what fits is very very important for your first proper pair.

Send me a PM if you need any more help.

Last edited:

jmcg

Reaction score
I rather like the models you have picked out and that either would serve you very well for your stated purpose.

One other option for saving a few bucks on some quality English brogues, you may want to check out http://www.shipton-usa.com/. I was able to figure out which size of C&J's to order and saved quite a bit. The only American-made options that are in the same league with these are the Alden LWBs, and with the internet it isn't necessarily harder to find the model you want on either side of the pond. Best of luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics