• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing dress shirts

Chris Freeman

Reaction score
Trying to buy dress shirts on a budget (preferably $40-60 per shirt). I'm a fairly slim guy and I have problems finding shirts that don't bag out in the back.

I've seen brooks brothers, CT shirts, modern tailor, land's end. I'm running into paralysis by analysis. I don't need super high quality because I wear dress shirts pretty rarely (only to important meetings and such at work). But I would like to avoid looking like a dork who only buys van heusen shirts.

What would styleforum guys recommend as far as what brands and styles I should buy?

Rpsmithii

Reaction score
Hands down Nordstrom.. Best value and well within your budget and long time guarantee

Grenadier

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren sell well-made, moderately priced, dress shirts in slim fittings.

aph999

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Charles Tyrwhitt for my inexpensive shirts, and on their best sales you can get them for 25-35 a piece. Right now they've got several on sale for $35. If you miss this particular sale, wait just a little, they'll be back on sale. I'm fit, with a good v-shape, and ordered slim, but even the slim were a bit full for me in the waist. Next time I'll try extra slim.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of the ones you listed would be good choices, though I'd stay away from made to measure unless you know what you're doing. Lands End Trim isn't the most aggressively slim cut out there, but it's quite reasonable. Brooks has a slim and an extra slim, though the slim isn't really that slim. It's slimmer than their full cuts, but that's not saying much. And CT has a slim that's reasonable and an extra slim that's pretty much the slim plus back darts.

XFactor

Reaction score
Can I add "Non-Iron" and "Slim Fits" to the OP's request for myself?

Similar price range - what would be the best Non-Iron Slim Fit 100% Cottons to buy?
What prices do they go for at sales?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads