• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing Between H Freeman or TaT MTM

boo

Reaction score
I bought an L&S suit a couple years ago as my first MTM suit. The cuff openings on the suit sleeve were so wide that they would almost flop around as I moved my arms. Being a newbie, I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I pointed it out to Izzy, and he said it was fine although it could be adjusted on my NEXT order. Otherwise, it was the best fitting suit I had tried on to date (it was my first MTM, so it better have been!) so I didn't make a big deal about it. With my knowledge now, there was no way that I would have accepted that suit.

Depending on how flexible your budget is, I feel Mr. Ned might be more newbie friendly. Just keep in mind he's not going to give you a modern TaT cut if that's important to you.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
Most of the inventory is mid- to low-grade stuff offered at accordingly low prices.

eh.gif
He has tons of Hickey Freeman rtw (not H Freeman). I wouldn't call that mid-to-low grade.

EuropeanInterloper Redux

Reaction score
I've used Izzy for MTM suits, odd jackets, and trousers. I have yet to use him for a tuxedo but I'm thinking of it. I was unaware that he does RTW, but then again- this is an MTM thread.
I have a friend of severely elongated proportions who has had a difficult time, but this is a consequence of him not knowing how to achieve the fit he wants while taking into account his proportions. After three suits, he has nailed his cut and can have suits churned out as he desires. Again, this is what I would call a fairly extreme situation.

On the other hand, I am looking for pretty much the exact same thing as you- I am slim, above average height, and have what most would call an athletic build with a drop which makes RTW suiting next to impossible. Izzy makes me things using the Beila (or something similar) model from Coppley. The only downside to Coppley is that it isn't fully hand canvassed. I do not believe that H Freeman has a model of similar proportions, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Go in there with a clear idea of what you want. Tell Izzy what you want. He favors a more roomy, classic american look which is at odds with the tightly tailored, British influenced, roped shoulder/high waists which are arguably in fashion. If you know what you want and communicate it, you will walk away happy.

EI

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Thanks for all the input. If H Freeman does indeed have a more modern cut, I think I will head down to L&S and have Izzy measure me up. Thanks for all the input.

Re: The RL MTM option, I think I would rather wait for BB's MTM events and have Mr. Greenfield measure me.

Martin Greenfield for Brooks Brothers is one of the least trim and modern suits available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads