1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Choosing and caring for belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nelly, Aug 28, 2006.

1. nelly

nelly Senior Member

I was just wondering how choose a simple plain black dress belt; I have a hard time differentiating between the quality of the leathers. What are some consistently good brands.

Also, how do you care for a belt and prevent it from mis-shaping due to wear?

2. CoryB

CoryB Senior Member

I'm wondering about this too. I currently hang my belts, but was wondering if it is better to hang or simply coil and put on a shelf. They don't seem to get any straighter will hanging.

3. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

Also, how do you care for a belt and prevent it from mis-shaping due to wear?

By not wearing it [​IMG]

Like CoryB I coil them up. I've also hung them and don't see any difference in preventing mis-shaping.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I coil them up; it seems to set them in a curve so the tip doesn't try to stick out. [​IMG]

As for buying one, Allen Edmonds is always a safe bet, and Zegna often has good belts on deep discount at Loehmanns and maybe other discounters. I'm sure others have more recommendations there.

Keep in mind if you find a belt that's too long on discount, you can get it shortened to your exact length (nice if you're "between holes") by a shoe repair shop for like $5-10.

5. Jared

Jared Distinguished Member

Keep in mind if you find a belt that's too long on discount, you can get it shortened to your exact length (nice if you're "between holes") by a shoe repair shop for like $5-10.
    Reading through the archives, I get the impression this is your modus operandi, j? Besides the extra cost, is there some reason everyone doesn't do this? (And even get snaps put in for changing buckles?) I need to replace all my pre-forum belts. AE's eBay store doesn't have much in my size, but I figure at any given point in time I could buy all the colours I'll ever need in the 40's. Combined shipping is almost enough to make up for the cutting cost and I can get it over with. Thoughts?

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I've never done it, but I know a few people here have. I don't see any reason not to do it other than that I haven't had much trouble finding belts in my size.

7. epa

epa Distinguished Member

I've never done it, but I know a few people here have. I don't see any reason not to do it other than that I haven't had much trouble finding belts in my size.
    When I need the size of the belt to be adapted (I mean, the step between two subsequent sizes is normally 5cm, so you quite often want them to take let's say two cm off), the store does it for free. I actually expect them to do it. I mean, they want to sell the belt, and if they haven't got the right size for your, well, they'd better do something about it.