• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing an Office Chair for Home

ROT

Reaction score
Any advice here? I'm leaning toward a Herman Miller Aeron (I've found a good price) or a CXO Highback. The problem is that I find all these "task" chairs bordering on the hideous in terms of design. I'm a big fan of art deco...

Thanks for the feedback.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As much as the Aeron has been touted as a landmark in modern design, I, too, find it hideous. Nevertheless, it is comfortable and would certainly get it if it can be found at a cut-rate price.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I use a split back chair. I find the design more comfortable than the aeron. But's all a matter of personal preference.

ROT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
Personally, I use a split back chair. I find the design more comfortable than the aeron. But's all a matter of personal preference.

Thanks philosophe. Split back? First I've run into that term. The chairs I tried out all had single piece backs. Could you forward a link to an example or a brand name, please?

Cheers,
ROT

ROT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
As much as the Aeron has been touted as a landmark in modern design, I, too, find it hideous. Nevertheless, it is comfortable and would certainly get it if it can be found at a cut-rate price.

Getting a good deal on "last year's model" before the price increase. And an additional 10% off if I buy the one off the floor. All of which is still hard to swallow taking into account the design. Unfortunately I tend to consider aesthetic value first and construction second
blush.gif

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ROT: Don't know if you have a Healthy Back Store near you, but I bought a really nice chair there that gives great support and is very comfortable at far less than the Aeron. It cost $800 and is worth every penny. I have no back problems using this chair. You can probably get one online too. It's the CXO model and it's now on sale for about $700.

And, the one I have at home is less expensive and quite good. It's from CSN chairs online. Huge selection at great prices.

ROT

Reaction score
bachbeet, I do have a Healthy Back Store just down the street. The CXO was a close runner up, but more expensive since I got the discounts on the Aeron. Will check again tomorrow.

designprofessor, Eames... a sight for sore eyes. I'll look into the aluminium group asap. At the moment I'm using a mid-century modern aluminum chair whose seat and back rest I recovered in some leftover houndstooth flannel. It's quite comfortable except for the arm rests which are too high for me.

Thanks for the suggestions.
ROT

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Aesthetically, I like the Eames aluminum group. But some designer classics can uncomfortable. Test dirve.
That is what I have and my back is getting really bad from it. Mine is the short armless version in white leather and looks very cool. Given my absolute choice of office chairs, I would consider the following: Cappellini Juli chair Vitra Meda Chair Pollock Chair (knoll?) - ugly but cool

swisloc

Reaction score
I have an aeron at work and an old Herman Miller Eames Aluminum at home and although the aeron is comfortable, the eames is comfortable enough and looks WAY better...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
That is what I have and my back is getting really bad from it. Mine is the short armless version in white leather and looks very cool.

Given my absolute choice of office chairs, I would consider the following:

Cappellini Juli chair
Vitra Meda Chair
Pollock Chair (knoll?) - ugly but cool

Does Cappellini use top grain leather?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Does Cappellini use top grain leather?
Yes, they use all Frau leather which is the same that Maserati and (I believe) Ferrari use. I am personally not a fan of leather and the Juli chair is not made from it. I think that it is sort of a molded polyeurathane. I see wood, stone and leather as kind of fascistic and I am more of a hippy type.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
one thing that everybody else in america may know, but I learned the hard way - if you have hardwood floor, put down someting under the office chair or you will **** up the wood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads